My 1st Pine Tar Shampoo Bar Batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymammaof3

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals!

I hadn't been active on here for a few months. I guess I'm making up for it, tonight...err...this morning. HA HA

Here's a photo of my most recent CP Shampoo Bar batch. I used 20% Pine Tar in my formula. I read that in order for the soap to be most effective on Eczema, Psoriasis, etc...this was necessary. And since I have a (unknown to the dermatologist) scalp condition myself...I was eager to try one!

I did notice a large amount of soft pine tar still left ontop, that wasn't saponafide. So, I guess I superfatted without knowing it? But didn't Paul say earlier that superfatting is mainly in a different form of soap making?

They were still wonderful to use, especially on the rest of the body, with the moisturizing and healing pine tar left on top. But I had to cut half of the soap off and discard, to easily use as a shampoo bar, on my hair (as intended anyway).

I added High-Quality Tea Tree & Eucalyptus Essential Oil. I made the mistake of putting the essential oils in a thin, little plastic cup...premeasured for easier and quicker time adding them, after trace.
They ate through the plastic and I ended up having to scrape it off the table. :0P You live & learn. HA HA

Here's the before and after photos. What do you guys think?
All constructive criticism is welcomed! I am very eager to improve on each batch I make!
018-1.jpg

PineTarShampooBarMadeJuly82008-1.jpg
[/img]

I make pine tar soap also

Hi,
Is the soap bar in the bottom bar a rebatch?
I was interested in making pine tar soap for the same reasons that you did...in my case, I have a mild case of seborrhea, but I found the soap to be ineffective against it.
Like yourself, I heard that you have to have a high concentration of pinetar in the soap, somewhere between 25 and 35% for it to be effective. I used a 27% pinetar concentration with a lard and coconut oil base. It took like 6 to 8 weeks to fully cure (to the point where it wasn't tacky to the touch) but made a nice hard bar with a strong "pinetar" smell when it is wetted and a very good lather. I found that my version made a very good shampoo and got my hair really clean but was very drying (probably due to the coconut oil?) and I had to use conditioner in my hair after. The soap residue also stained my tub brown (temporarily....it came off when I cleaned it).
As I said, this soap took forever to cure....and while it worked really well, I would probably add a moisturizing/conditioning agent as you did so that it doesn't dry out my scalp so bad. I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out for you.

Hi!

No. The second photograph is of the same soap. Just with the top, tacky portion cut offand a week or so more of curing.

Yeah, I used a high percentage, to make sure it was effective. It was. I tested one out after 2 weeks of curing (I speed up the process by using 2 fans, going full-blast, 24/7). They lather well. I read the pine tar has lathering properties as well as the coconut oil. I used my base shampoo bar formula for this batch...to make sure it had plenty moisturizing characteristics. The SoapMaker program also helps a lot. I can see the characteristics my batch will probably have, before even testing it.

I used Palm Kernel, Jojoba, Castor, Kukui Nut Oils and more.

I think that I got too impatient. Although I knew that they take much longer to cure...I was afraid the top wasn't going to saponafi. I said I discarded the parts I cut off. But I was mistaken. I saved them and placed them in a large wooden bowl, I have had on my dining room table. And looking at them now...they are curing nicely and no longer near as tacky. LOL Oh well. My soap bars could have been much bigger. But atleast I had the presence of mind to save the rest and not trash them. I can still use them for shampooing the kids, the pets and myself. Just use them as single-use samples. :p

I like the pine tar, a lot! I love the pine scent. I noticed the brown stain on the tub and shower too. I usually can get it off just by giving everything a good rinsing with hot water, once I'm done. I used this bar on my mother's Shih Tzu. Worked wonderfully. Lathered up great and she stopped itching for about a week. My mother uses store bought junk, as I call it. So, she started itching after her next bath. :0P

I use an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse after shampooing. Since handmade soaps have a different pH then store-bought shampoos (made synthetically to have a certain PH)...you need something to balance the PH in the soaps out. I use half Apple Cider Vinegar with Half Water. I cleaned out an old shampoo/conditioner bottle, labeled it and filled it half with ACV and half with cold water. I shake well, pour over my head (eyes closed of course). Use my finger tips to massage it into all of my hair. Wait a minute or two (depending on the time I have)...and then rinse in water (as cold as I can get it). It not only balances the pH in my hair...but is an excellent detangler too! My hair was very long when I started this. Almost to my waist. And without the rinse...my hair was so dry and tangled. After using the ACV rinse...it was like night & day! And After I rinse it out, comb and dry my hair...the smell dissipates. Same concept as using white vinegar in a spray bottle to clean your surfaces. The smell goes away as the vinegar dries.

Hope all of that is of some help. :0)

Looks great! Love the pic with soap in the tree. :D

Digit

Thanks, Digit! It is an Anacua tree, right outside my front door. It has been a great place for photographic my soaps. :0) I couldn't get it quite the way I wanted, though. :0P

Latest posts

Back