My 1st Batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PrincessMommy said:
SoapyGal said:
Lovehound said:
Click the link, then right click the image and "view image." Then cut and paste that URL.

:oops:

I'm sorry....

I still don't get it....

When I right click on the image, I don't get a "view image" option.... however, to the right of the image on the photobucket page, there are 4 different "codes" they give... the bottom one is for forums & bulletin boards.... if I cut & paste that code, would that do the trick?

You need to put it inside the "IMG" tags at the top of "post message" page. it will look like this: (img) put your picture url here (/img) except it will be brackets instead of parenthesis.

ok...I think I'm on the same page now... like when you quote somebody, it's inside of "quote" tags....

I'll try it with my next pics :lol: Thanks so much for the help !!

Lovehound said:
Just responding to my own post, they look like Castile. I really like Castile, particularly a modified Castile. I've just done a goat today and used a more or less Castile but added castor oil. And added goat of course. Can't have GM soap without some goat present. ;)

Hi Lovehound... it's been a crazy night... sorry I'm just now responding. It's a combination of the following oils: Coconut, Palm, Lard, Olive & Castor.

My hubby likes a hard bar, low on the "moisturizing" because he has oily skin, and lots of bubbles, so I went highest on the coconut - within reason - and then just played with the numbers on soapcalc until I got numbers I felt comfortable with.

I started by running the numbers of Cavitch's recipes, and Kathy Millers recipes, and several others, so I could get a feel for what the "numbers" stood for.... that was really the hardest part for me. The calculator is great, but until those numbers actually mean something to you, what good are they, you know?

So, I'm doing alot of documenting on the soap I make, so I'll understand the numbers in the future, and hopefully find a combination that works really well for me & the loved ones.

I REALLY want to do goat's milk, but my skills need quite a bit of work before I'm comfortable enough to try that! :lol:

PrincessMommy said:
They are very pretty.

Is that a log mold you used?

Thank you PM !

It's a one pound cardboard mold from Chestnut Farms... it only cost me a little over $3 !!! It gives me 5 or 6 bars depending on how thick I cut them.

I figured no sense in spending a chunk of change until I know for sure I really enjoy making soap!

SoapyGal said:
I started by running the numbers of Cavitch's recipes, and Kathy Millers recipes, and several others, so I could get a feel for what the "numbers" stood for.... that was really the hardest part for me. The calculator is great, but until those numbers actually mean something to you, what good are they, you know?
I did the exact same thing, running SoapCalc on Cavitch's recipes, Miller's recipes, and other recipes I've found on the 'Net and in books. I've read or skimmed about a dozen and a half library books and I'm saving the printouts of the ones I am interested in possibly making.

SoapyGal said:
So, I'm doing alot of documenting on the soap I make, so I'll understand the numbers in the future, and hopefully find a combination that works really well for me & the loved ones.
I have been doing that too except I missed a few, so I went back yesterday and made sure I had an accurate printout of every batch I've made, now totaling an even dozen. You have to know where you've been before you can decide where to go next.

SoapyGal said:
I REALLY want to do goat's milk, but my skills need quite a bit of work before I'm comfortable enough to try that! :lol:
It's easier than you think. My batch #12 was GM and the finished log is sitting in my kitchen waiting to be cut. I'll post pictures later today, and include complete instructions. I don't know why people have so much trouble with GM bars. Mine are 100% GM too! :)

SoapyGal said:
It's a one pound cardboard mold from Chestnut Farms... it only cost me a little over $3 !!! It gives me 5 or 6 bars depending on how thick I cut them.
I'm having almost as much fun thinking up molds as I am making soap. The challenge is to (1) pick a size that results in attractive, regularly shaped and sized bars, and (2) pick a construction that allows for removal of the log without the utilization of explosives. :D

I've been thinking of making a mold out of corrugated plastic. It would be cheap and I think I can devise a method of keeping the soap from sticking. I'm thinking right now that petroleum jelly would be the thing to use, or maybe mineral oil.

Molds like that won't last as long, but if your mold only costs a few dollars who cares? Just buy or make another one.

Lovehound said:
I'm having almost as much fun thinking up molds as I am making soap. The challenge is to (1) pick a size that results in attractive, regularly shaped and sized bars, and (2) pick a construction that allows for removal of the log without the utilization of explosives. :D

I've been thinking of making a mold out of corrugated plastic. It would be cheap and I think I can devise a method of keeping the soap from sticking. I'm thinking right now that petroleum jelly would be the thing to use, or maybe mineral oil.

Molds like that won't last as long, but if your mold only costs a few dollars who cares? Just buy or make another one.

I'm glad you're having so much fun with this hobby! I admire people like you & Paul, who are so creative that you can squeeze two hobbies out of one! :lol:

I've heard mineral oil cannot be saponified, & alot of people use it to line molds. And it's much safer than explosives!! :lol:

I've been trying to come up with a round mold, other than PVC pipe & all the other usuals. That's a challenge. But it gives me something to ponder on :wink: Trips to the hardware store have new meaning now!

Corrugated plastic is a great idea! I bet you could get some really creative shapes with it even, if you got bored with the regular "log" shape.

But I've noticed some soapers try to keep their waste down to a minimum, and recycle everything they can, thereby keeping the hobby "green" and planet friendly. So I guess for that type of soaper, it wouldn't be the best material to work with. Unless of course it's something that can be tossed into the recycle bin. Then it's probably no more waste than a fresh sheet of freezer paper each time.

Personally, I'm all about whatever works that isn't expensive, and isn't high maintenance or alot of work. Because to me, that can detract from the fun of it.

Lovehound said:
I have been doing that too except I missed a few, so I went back yesterday and made sure I had an accurate printout of every batch I've made, now totaling an even dozen. You have to know where you've been before you can decide where to go next.

I agree completely. A dozen already! Holy smokes... you've been busy! May I ask what you'll do with all that soap? Are you planning on selling, or are you sharing with friends & family? Forgive me if I'm being nosey :oops: Only curious :)

Lovehound said:
It's easier than you think. My batch #12 was GM and the finished log is sitting in my kitchen waiting to be cut. I'll post pictures later today, and include complete instructions. I don't know why people have so much trouble with GM bars. Mine are 100% GM too! :)

For me, the "turn off" has been all the bad publicity about how easily GM burns. There's probably half a dozen techniques that I've read about, all in an attempt to prevent the dreaded "orange" syndrome. :lol: I've read about powdered GM, frozen GM, rebatching & putting in GM at that time... they all seem to work for the most part... I guess it's just a matter of deciding on which one seems to work best for most people.

Your GM soap sounds wonderful!! I'd really enjoy seeing your pics, & reading about your methods & experience with it if you'd feel like sharing

That's one of my favorite parts of this forum.... when people post pics & walk thru the experience... it's almost like being in the kitchen with them, having a front row seat! I'll have to do a better job at taking pics for my future batches. For my first batch, I had my hands full & was so worried about letting the trace get too thick, that I forgot all about pics! :lol: Oh well :oops:

At present I'm giving my soap to family, friends, neighbors and acquaintances. It's like the dope dealer, give them free samples and then when they get hooked start charging them. ;) No, not really. Actually I'm just giving it all away for feedback and comments, waiting until I can make something professional looking before I start asking for money.

I've got what I believe is the perfect way to make GM soap, an idea stolen from a post right here at SMF. I'll post the description in my own words very soon. Once you see my method you'll know I have the madness. ;)

Lovehound said:
At present I'm giving my soap to family, friends, neighbors and acquaintances. It's like the dope dealer, give them free samples and then when they get hooked start charging them. ;) No, not really. Actually I'm just giving it all away for feedback and comments, waiting until I can make something professional looking before I start asking for money.

I've got what I believe is the perfect way to make GM soap, an idea stolen from a post right here at SMF. I'll post the description in my own words very soon. Once you see my method you'll know I have the madness. ;)

Instead of a doper, you're a soaper! :lol: Too funny. But that sounds like a great way to ease into it if you intend to sell one day.

I'm anxiously awaiting your GM madness!!

Speaking of GM, what are the benefits to having GM in soap? I've heard the lather is creamier, but, other than that -- ??!! Do you know?

SoapyGal said:
Speaking of GM, what are the benefits to having GM in soap? I've heard the lather is creamier, but, other than that -- ??!! Do you know?
Yeah. You get to deprive baby goats of a nourishing, well balanced diet! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back