My 101st Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made this batch yesterday for my son who is visiting from California. It turns out to be my 101st soap. He picked the colors and the FOs, which are BB’s Lime and Moroccan Mint, along with WSP’s Caribbean Coconut. The coconut is going to discolor somewhat so I mixed it with the darker green batter. I layered the colored batter in a funnel pitcher using a side pour (at 45 deg from the spout, learned that from an @newbie challenge video) and then side and corner poured from the funnel into the mold. I used a very friendly 70% lard recipe since I knew he would be watching me and I didn’t want to mess up :). These are the rough cuts.

8C063086-E63B-4FD4-9975-F02EC267CAA5.jpeg

Last edited:
It's lovely. I'm fascinated by your swirls. How did you do that?
Thanks! The basic approach is as described in the first post. There are lots of videos on YouTube these days that demonstrate similar techniques using batter layered a funnel pitcher to do a side or corner pour. I’ll see if I can find one to post here.

Here are a couple of links for videos by Newbie of SMF and Teri of Tree Marie that show techniques similar to the ones I used.

@ 6:53 she is filling the pitcher using a side pour to layer the colors. This is close to what I did, but I actually used a hybrid of the technique used here and the one in the next video. I side poured my colored batter into a pitcher that was half filled with white batter. I poured only enough of the colored batter to get to the mid-line of the pitcher. Then when I poured I was getting half color and half white. My batter was thinner, more like the batter consistency in the next video.

This one shows an awesome black and white pour down the narrow edge of a loaf mold.

Last edited:
I think I should let him pick the colors and FO combos from now on. He wants to take soap back to his California “millennial test crew.” He kept saying “the more scent the better” and for the colors “Go for it.” What do I know..
Beautiful soap! And we know from another thread that, on his way home, he should pack it in his checked-in luggage and not in his carry on! ;)

Beautiful soap! And we know from another thread that, on his way home, he should pack it in his checked-in luggage and not in his carry on! ;)
Hahaha. I warned him. He didn’t take the new soap, but he did take about 5 lbs of other soaps. His text message from the airport said the bag check was a “scentsational” experience :)

Latest posts

Back