mustard seed oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galavanting Gifts

Reaction score
Does or has anyone here used mustard seed oil? if so how did you find it behaved in soap? I found a soap recipe that used it so I picked some up at shopping but I can't use a soap calc that uses it in their list. Would it burn the skin? just wondering, any help is much appreciated :D

Mustard seed oil is a serious irritant......I personally wouldn't use it

Thanks Mike for filling me in, i'll add it into my cooking instead I think, better to be safe than sorry.

I have soaped with it ...... it is wonderful in my recipe, honest! I sub some of one of my base oils at 10% of total oil weight and find it to be one of my best and gentlest facial bars (of the 3 I currently am making, that is :wink: )

My research showed me that although even as a food oil there is some negative regarding erucic acid content, this has been shown to be possibly incorrectly documented (see this wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_oil ). In any event, topically on skin (in a wash off product like soap) it has so far been completely non-irritating. This is by using it myself, by my DH and kids and 5 other testers. HTH GG!

Tanya :)

soapbuddy said:
MikeInPdx said:
I agree. I wouldn't risk it, even in a wash off product.

Oh soapbuddy, your reply just reminded me of a question I keep forgetting to ask, since soap is a wash off product how come is Goatsmilk soap promoted as being so good for the skin when it only has contact for a few seconds especially in the shower? does it penetrate into the skin quicker than it gets washed off?, I am so glad I remembered to ask cause thats like a really old question I stored in my head and forgot to post lol.

good question GG.

I like milk soaps cuz they tend to be milder and have nice lather. Milder is important for skin conditions including acne.

I don't buy into therapeutic for soaps - but that's just me.

Galavanting Gifts said:
soapbuddy said:
MikeInPdx said:

Oh soapbuddy, your reply just reminded me of a question I keep forgetting to ask, since soap is a wash off product how come is Goatsmilk soap promoted as being so good for the skin when it only has contact for a few seconds especially in the shower? does it penetrate into the skin quicker than it gets washed off?, I am so glad I remembered to ask cause thats like a really old question I stored in my head and forgot to post lol.
Goat's milk does not penetrate the skin. Is this a trick question? Feel free to PM me if you like. I would be happy to tell about the last 20+ years spent as a Licensed Esthetician and a Holistic Health Care Practitioner. :)

soapbuddy said:
Galavanting Gifts said:
soapbuddy said:
MikeInPdx said:

Goat's milk does not penetrate the skin. Is this a trick question? Feel free to PM me if you like. I would be happy to tell about the last 20+ years spent as a Licensed Esthetician and a Holistic Health Care Practitioner. :)

Trick question? nooooo why would it be a trick question?, i'm a reasonably new soaper and am interested in a simple answer wether it be from you or someone else.
I've noticed that GM soap has made such a difference to my skin that i'm interested in what its doing to it while i'm using it. If you don't feel the desire to answer my question you're under no obligation to do so but if anyone else has the answer I would certainly like to know because if a member of the general public asks me the same question then as a seller i'm going to need to be able to satisfy them with an answer.
I don't like people playing mind games with me and nor do I play them, so be rest assured my question is genuine :D

Galavanting Gifts said:
soapbuddy said:
[quote="Galavanting Gifts":3uz2rlnc]
soapbuddy said:
MikeInPdx said:

Trick question? nooooo why would it be a trick question?, i'm a reasonably new soaper and am interested in a simple answer wether it be from you or someone else.
I've noticed that GM soap has made such a difference to my skin that i'm interested in what its doing to it while i'm using it. If you don't feel the desire to answer my question you're under no obligation to do so but if anyone else has the answer I would certainly like to know because if a member of the general public asks me the same question then as a seller i'm going to need to be able to satisfy them with an answer.
I don't like people playing mind games with me and nor do I play them, so be rest assured my question is genuine :D[/quote:3uz2rlnc]

Goat's milk is more compatible with the structure of the skin (unlike mustard seed) and makes a nice mild bar, even in the few minutes that's in contact with skin. Milk has natural sugars which make the soap more bubbly.

wow! how about that, I had no idea milk had natural sugars in it, thanks for helping me with that soapbuddy, now I understand why my skin comes out feeling so good.

I plan to soap some mustard myself, since my skin is happy with it as a massage oil.

But I am reviving this thread to point out that there are 2 types of mustard oil: the pure mustard and the cooking oil. However, in some countries, the pure mustard oil is used for cooking, while in others it isn't legally approved.

The pure mustard is not considered quite safe for cooking either (certain precautions need to be taken). From my research, it seems that simply applying heat will blow the mustardiness away, just don't take my word for it.

The cooking, "de-mustardized" version is very mild, and based on the difference between the two (as tasted on my tongue) I can't imagine it to be irritant.

Latest posts

Back