Mustard baths anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleodnaturals

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has made these or knows the amounts of mustard to use. I've read about them and I'm intrigued! Would the mustard be mixed into a bath salt or a bath melt, or just straight??

mcleodnaturals

I've never heard of mustard baths. Do you have a website or info on it?

thats pretty interesting...although I feel like it might BURN on the wrong parts if it was too strong (ive grown mustard and MAN that stuff is HOT when its fresh...)

I read about mustard baths in a herbal book I have and they date back to the time of Hippocrates. They are used for aching muscles and to alleviate congestion and colds.

I was just curious if anyone else used them or how they used them.

My 3 yr old daughter caught a cold on Thursday night and was stuffed up and coughing. Last night I made a mustard compress using oatmeal, mustard and a bit of water to cook the oats into a paste. I put this in a damp washcloth and applied it to her chest for about 10 mins to draw out the 'yuckies'. :D Then I gave her a mustard foot bath (1 tsp of mustard in half a large pot of water) and let her soak for 10 mins. Neither use of the mustard caused her any irritation or redness and she seems less congested today already! She asked for another foot bath this morning and this afternoon she's running around like crazy and not complaining about her 'sduffy nodse' :lol: :lol:

I also started to get a sore throat last night so I had a mustard bath in the tub. I put two heaping teaspoons in a full tub of water with some epsom salts, eucalyptus oil and lavender EO. I had a bit of stinging on the backs of my legs, but I'm not sure if that was due to the mustard or the eucalyptus EO :shock: I rinsed off in the shower afterwards and the stinging went away.

So, that's my two cents about mustard. I just thought it was an interesting addition to my bag of tricks for when the kids and us get sick!

mcleodnaturals

I bet the stinging was from the EO, that happenes to me all the time when I take a bath with it. This is quite interesting, i want to do some research on this, I could imagine it would work wonders for decongestion!

as a compress Im sure it worked quite well! Im going to keep this in my bag of cures when I need it, I grow some organic mustard (man that stuff is STRONG!! yikes!) and I could imagine that if you apply it as a compress it would draw out quite a few of the yuckies indeed!

Many, many moons ago, my granny would make a mustard and onion poultice for congestion. She would smear lard or some greasy layer on your chest so the poultice would not burn. Kind of the "if it don't cure ya, ya gonna die anyways" thingy. Worked. Now the cough syrup......wow! That cured whatever ailed you.

I would be kinda nervous to sit in a mustard bath. I am not real sensitive but I would be real careful for, well, the delicate parts. :oops:

Digit

garlic on the bottom of kids feet and then a pair of warm socks will draw the cold out of them overnight....

and then in the morning, get them to stomp the tomatoes and voila! you got sauce! :wink:

Back