Must be new math...sigh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
I either had a really blond moment, or it's new math...lol...
Got 2 new oval molds about a month ago. I wrote down on the recipe that goes with ( for a small commercial acct), and noted that each cavity was 1.5 oz, so I must have measured it out. Made soap last night... 32x1.5=48. I ended up with THIS MUCH!!! I'm really not sure what happened, so when I unmold, I need to recheck my math...
The oval molds are plain white with no fragrance, but I colored and scented the rest, and got to use my new duckie and owl molds, so it wasn't a complete loss, but boy, did I feel silly!

IMG_20160325_070623.jpg

No, I used 32 oz of oils. Total weight said 49.66 oz. The only thing I can figure is that I wrote the wrong number for some reason. I usually weigh molds out as soon as I get them, so I have the info on hand...

Molds are measured in volume ounces. Your soap is measured in weight ounces. A given volume of oil doesn't weigh as much as water. If you make the same weight ounces of soap batter as you have volume ounces of mold, you'll always make more batter than you have room. (This is also true if you fill the mold with water and weigh the water -- the same thing will happen.)

Most people use this -- http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2909 -- as a rule of thumb to figure out about how many weight ounces of fat will fit in a given volume of mold (volume ounces). It's only an approximation, but it might get you closer to the mark. Hope this helps.

I'll have to try that, thanks Deanna... I usually fill the cavity with water, and it's been fairly accurate...

Back