Mushy tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwallis

Reaction score
I've made HP soap off and on for years and have always rendered my own tallow - almost always from pure suet. I just rendered a huge batch from a really large cow and it came out yellow and mushy! Not hard, not white like it always comes out. My question is why? This was truly just suet - no other fat added and very little meat, blood, or gristle even. Does it have something to do with the cow's diet or health? I noticed previously that drained fat from hamburger from the same cow turned out the same way - yellow and mushy. Any hints for saving this tallow? Really frustrated as I spent a while grinding and melting the suet!:cry:

I got yellow tallow from a old grass fed cow but it wasn't mushy. How many times did you wash it after rendering?

It probably has more oleic acid in the fat rather than palmitic or stearic acids compared to what you're used to. It will probably soap just fine , but the soap might be more like a lard soap (higher oleic) than of a typical tallow soap.

Back