Murphy's Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOGal70

Reaction score
My sister has psorisis and has kept it in check for years by using Murphy's Oil Soap as her "treatment". All through high school and early adulthood she tried all of the prescriptions out there, then after several people telling her to try the Murphy's, she read in a magazine about it and finally tried it and it cleared it right up! Now she only has to use it occasionaly to clear up flare ups.

So it popped in my head today and I wondered if it could be added to CP or HP? But wait it is already soap, so why would I......

Anyway, just thought I would see if anyone has any experience with this.

Ack! Is that considered skin safe??

Just looked up the ingredients... doesn't seem to be a toxin concern, but I have no idea how you'd figure a SAP value for it... Maybe someone here has tried it...

Last edited:
Murphy's Oil Soap is already soap.... So pretty sure it doesn't have a SAP value.
MOGal if you did some research into the ingredients you may be able to make a copy of Murphy's Oil Soap.

If it truly is a soap, I do not think one would need a SAP value. Wouldn't it be more like rebatching?

is a soap made veg oil

Murphy Oil Soap

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Murphy Oil Soap is a cleaning product marketed by Colgate-Palmolive. It was originally invented by Murphy-Phoenix Company, later became Colgate-Palmolive's subsidiary in 1991. It is available in a concentrated liquid form which is then mixed with water, as well as pre-diluted form which comes in a trigger spray bottle. Commercials for the product state that the product is ideal for cleaning wood surfaces.

Despite the name, Murphy Oil Soap does not contain oil; it contains potassium soap manufactured from vegetable oil. The other constituents of Murphy Oil Soap are sodium EDTA, propylene glycol, fragrance, surfactants, and water

From the Colgate.com website: Current ingredients of the classic version of Murphy's Oil Soap are water, sodium tallate (a soap made from "tall oil acid", a byproduct from wood pulp), fragrance, tetrasodium EDTA, Lauramidopropyldimethylamine oxide.

Fragrance would be just a percent or three of this recipe. EDTA is an antioxidant used at well under 1% (one supplier recommends 0.1%). The Lauramidopropyldimethylamine oxide is a surfactant. If the ingredients are listed in the amounts used, which seems reasonable, then this ingredient is well under 1% of the recipe.

So ... basically Murphy's Oil Soap is mostly water with a soap made from "tall oil" and sodium hydroxide. In reading about tall oil, I wonder if a similar ingredient more readily available to home crafters would be pine tar, which is often used for skin problems.

edit: I can't say why Wikipedia's ingredients are different than Colgate, the manufacturer of this product. A read of an actual product label would be best. I don't have this product on hand, or I would do that. end edit

General info about tall oil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_oil

"...Pine tar contains turpentine, resin, guaiacol, creosol, methylcreosol, phenol, phlorol, toluene, xylene, etc.
"Crude tall oil contains 40–60% resin acids, 40–55% fatty acids (mostly n-C18, 75% monoenoic, and 25% dienoic, with traces of trienoic and saturates), and 5–10% neutral properties..." Source: www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/pinus_elliottii.html

Last edited:
Keep in mind that legally they dont have to list all the ingredients so you really dont know what you are using unless you trust colgate to be compeltely honest.

edit: I can't say why Wikipedia's ingredients are different than Colgate, the manufacturer of this product. A read of an actual product label would be best. I don't have this product on hand, or I would do that. end edit

I have a bottle and looked. There is no listing of ingredients as such. It just says 98% naturally derived ingredients No unnecessary chemicals. Wikipedia has been known to have misinformation. I'm not saying that I would totally trust Colgate, but see no reason for them not to be forthright on this matter.

Pamielynn, since my own doctor has told patients to try it, I'm pretty sure it is skin safe.

The thought popped in my head the other day when my boss walked by me. He has a couple of spots on his hand and lower arm that look simaliar to psoriasis. We use Murphy's at work by the 5 gallon bucket full and I have told him to try putting it on when he walks by a bucket, but he dosen't. He won't even try the corizone cream his wife bought him. So I guess it was in the back of my mind to make a soap for him.

I believe that DeeAnna could be right that Murphy's contains pine tar. It does have a a smell reminiscent of pine tar and is a brownish color. So I will probaby just make a pine tar batch.

Back