Multi-coloured soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacy_bareskin

Reaction score
You guys all make it sound so easy.

I just made 2 soaps, both of which I thought would look good as a marbled 2 colour with 1 fragrance in each colour.

The face soap I made with green and white clay mixed up well but was still fairly thick when I poured it into the mould. By the look of the top anyway it looks like it may have mixed fairly well. Its scented with lemon myrtle and tea tree so it looks and smells great.

The second soap I made was meant to be a scrubby with orange and spice. The orange came up great (I used paprika) but I chose to use cocoa for the spice. Ended up smelling of chocolate! First mistake, should have used cinnamon. Threw in some more EO's to spice it up. By this stage the soap was into a thick trace so by the time I got to the mixing it was like spooning mud into a mould. Tried to mix it a bit but it was too thick so I was just slicing it up. Gave up, squished it all down as best I could and covered it up. Then I realised I left out the oatmeal! So annoying.

So, I guess we'll see how well they really turn out tomorrow. The second batch looks like its gelling now so I have no idea what that's going to do to things. Fingers crossed.

So, lesson learned?
The first soap had a high percentage of olive oil so it was tracing a lot slower and it seems I need all the time I can get right now as I'm new to mixing colours. The second soap was a high percentage of hard oils (palm and coconut) so it traced really quick. Not good for stuffing around with EOs and mixing colours. I think I'll stick to the softer soaps for my colours for a while.

Any other tips for easy colour mixing? I made an absolute mess of the place.

you did measure the EO right and not just tossed it in as you said, cinnamon , you need to be careful with that as well
why would you use coco for spice?
can i see your % or weights?

The cocoa was for a natural brown colour, I read it was more effective than cinnamon powder. I measure all of my additions.

I just realised I didn't mention that I added some clove EO for the 'spice'. Just for those who need to know.

"cinnamon , you need to be careful with that"
I'd appreciate further clarification on that statement.

For weights:
Soap 1
25% palm oil
45% olive oil oil
25% coconut oil
5% castor oil

Soap 2
50% palm oil
25% coconut oil
20% olive oil
5% beeswax

Palm oil and beeswax will both speed up saponification. That would be why your batch went so fast. 2% beeswax is usually sufficient and I personally only use up to about 30% palm oil.

Some essential oils will also speed up saponification (trace) as well. Spices for one - clove especially.

So this soap is scented with orange, chocolate, cinnamon and clove? Well, any two of those scents would smell great together, I wonder how all four will do.

I have gotten my soapmaking down to about 35 minutes start to finish. I weigh my water, then lye. Mix well and set aside. Then weigh oils and have them on the stove on simmer until the hard oils are melted. In between stirring oil, I gather all my add-ins, make sure my mold is all set up, put a towel under it. Take the oil off the stove by then, and fill the sink with ice water - put the lye in there. Then I weigh all the stuff I will be putting in, place it in order that I want to add it on the counter where I will be stick blending. At that point, check temps... stir the lye water around to cool it quicker. Once it's ready, see if the oil is the right temp- if it's not, put the pot of oil in the ice water too. Takes about 3 seconds per degree to lower it - not long at all so don't leave it in there for long.

It sounds yummy, yes you forgot to add you added Eo to it...

And Cinnamon can cause some really bad skin reactions to people..
so just becareful on the usage
also EO cinnamon can as well

i would love to see photos of it tho,

ever have those chocolate orange candy, in the shape of a orange, i bet it smells like that?

I cut them up last night and let them sit out overnight and they seem to have come out alright.

The swirling didn't work at all, but I do have layers instead so it still looks unique. Maybe next time I'll try pot swirling and see if I get better results with that. I'll take some photos tonight for the curious ones.

I just went and picked them up and had a smell. The orange is so prominent right now, I really hope that sticks. I added some benzoin as that's meant to hold citrus. Finger's crossed. I also added the EO to a Tbs of kaolin clay before mixing it with the soap so that maybe the clay could hold it better. Oh and the chocolate smell seems to have faded, so I definitely over-reacted on that one. I'll know next time. I'd love to make a soap that smells of jaffas (choc-orange).

The face bar is lovely. I love the smell of lemon myrtle, I'd put it in everything if I could! I've heard people say the green clay makes soap look gross, but I rather like it.

Anyway.. its all about learning so I'm sure I'll do better next time.

Did you add powdered benzoin or the EO. I tried working with that sticky, gooey resiny EO and couldn't get it to behave at all.

I used the liquid benzoin. The only problem I had with it was that it was supplied in a bottle with a dripper cap.. which I had to pry out coz there's no way that stuff drips.

Back