“Mud” soap continued...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of mold are you using?

I wonder if pouring in a slab mold using very thin batter with or without squirt bottles might give you more control and get you the look you want.

Or a cardboard weir cut to fit inside your log mold (if that is the kind of mold you are using. The weir would give you better control of the layers.

From Grace to You uses weirs in some of her soaps and here is one in which she uses a cardboard weir inside of a log mold:

She also using rising weirs in other soaps, and provides a link to her free ebook with tons of artistic ideas that you may find useful. If you watch her video in a separate YouTube window check out all her links; you'll find her ebook listed there.

@earlene From Grace to You makes incredible soaps, but I as I recall she doesn’t quite get the look I am going for, or maybe she does in the one where she pulls the folded cardboard across for each layer. I will watch it again. I have the ebook and I think I watched every one of the videos. At some point I will try her technique for getting the wave that rolls over on itself.

I think I’m going to try the pouring idea I have, first, since I’m on a roll with side pours right now. The worst than can happen is that I will learn something and prove that my idea doesn’t work the way I thought it would. That’s a common outcome when I make soap. :)

I have one of those 2 lb loaf/log? molds with a silicone liner that they sell on Amazon. I would rather not use a slab mold because I eventually want to mix these layers with other features that will be much easier to produce in a loaf mold.

Thank you for so graciously sharing your ideas :)

Latest posts

Back