MSN-"10 Cosmetic Ingredients that Really Creep us Out"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2428

Reaction score
This was the title of an article on the MSN "front page" of the Living section. In the article they discuss African Black Soap and the use of plantain in it's ingredients. Soap, cosmetic, drug?
labelingokay.jpg

Why would plantain be any sort of issue at all?? Let alone that it's plantain ASH, even. Oh look, potash from a plant! Eek! :Kitten Love: I must be missing something. Although I am wondering about the label on the soap in that image, and whether it would be a medical claim (although depending where it is from, that may or may not be an issue)

I'll bet that some people would be grossed out at the thought of the banana-like plantain was actually being used. Then again, some of them may know that there are two types of plantain.

In either case, I'll still use black soap. Despite being drying, it clears the skin like no other.

The bee venom and the snake venom kinda freak me out. Botox also squicks me. Why would you inject deadly food poisoning into your face?

In my state, they have a huge bowfishing tournment. You go out at night in a boat with a powerful light and shoot fish with a bow - mostly large fish, like carp. Carp are very large, and not particularly tasty. So the fish go to a turtle farms and to make-up factories. The carp aren't native, and in fact compete with and eat the native fish.

I think most urea is synthetically produced. I won't say all since I don't know positively all urea is synthetic. There may be at least one company which prefers "natural" ingredients. ;)

I know this is a bit controversial but I am grossed out by the thought of using lard or tallow in soap. And I about fell off my seat when folks were discussing using seal oil. I'm not vegetarian (I eat fish and occasionally chicken) but this turns me off (as does Emu oil in lotions).

You got to be kidding me. This is why I can't stand the news. They will rave about things that are full of crap and spit on good natural products. As to the soap in the pic, Shea Moisture is a popular product sold almost everywhere now. I'm sure they have paid for the proper testing to make medical claims. I personally love there products.

I know this is a bit controversial but I am grossed out by the thought of using lard or tallow in soap. And I about fell off my seat when folks were discussing using seal oil. I'm not vegetarian (I eat fish and occasionally chicken) but this turns me off (as does Emu oil in lotions).

I use lard, tallow and emu, but seal oil would make me feel very guilty and bad! I guess it's years of commercials protesting baby seal clubbing?

You got to be kidding me. This is why I can't stand the news. They will rave about things that are full of crap and spit on good natural products. As to the soap in the pic, Shea Moisture is a popular product sold almost everywhere now. I'm sure they have paid for the proper testing to make medical claims. I personally love there products.

I agree, shea moisture is very good. There only product I would not mess with is the room-temperature wax (it was not what I was expecting). :sad: It did smell good though.

@Hazel: I know they can clean it, but urea is a no go much like the snail slime (I'd rather just eat pearls and oxtail for a collagen boost). To each their own...

@Meganmischke: Good luck with the chicken fat and do post the experience. :smile:

@Hazel: I know they can clean it, but urea is a no go much like the snail slime (I'd rather just eat pearls and oxtail for a collagen boost). To each their own...

They don't clean it. It's synthetically produced. I was just saying there might be a company or a few which do use animal urea. I won't say it's an impossibility but the bulk of it is synthetic.

I thought this article was interesting. http://thenakedchemist.com/what-is-urea-and-its-benefits-in-skincare/

I now see it's a good thing that I've never been grossed out by the idea of using urea. But then again, by the time I really started to pay attention to labels, I was already studying skin care ingredients. ;)

Latest posts

Back