MSM/Emu ol cream for arthritis

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
As a member of the Southern Soapers Yahoo Group in 2006, I was privileged to take a class from Linda Lazlo on making MSM/Emu Oil Cream for arthritis. This recipe is based on her formula. After a bit of research, I later tweaked the formula to contain the optimum amount of MSM (10% of water weight) and Emu Oil (7%) for effectiveness. I made this cream for my mother, my dear hubby and for me ever since.

NOTE: This recipe is intended for experienced lotion & cream makers. If you have never made lotion before, please take some time to learn the basics first.

Attachments

• Zany's MSM Emu Cream.pdf
    55.5 KB · Views: 102
I was reading the ingredients and was wondering… can you use aloe juice to replace water in any lotion? Have you used it? Is it a better lotion? I need to make more of my face creamy today and would like to try it… interesting!

I was reading the ingredients and was wondering… can you use aloe juice to replace water in any lotion? Have you used it? Is it a better lotion? I need to make more of my face creamy today and would like to try it… interesting!
Pretty much yes, but you would have to adjust the pH and the preservative.

can you use aloe juice to replace water in any lotion? Have you used it? Is it a better lotion?
Maybe. Yes. and Meh (since I like my basic lotion well enough with or without it). 😁

Per @AliOop 's advice -- you'll be okay if there are no other botanicals (or milks) in the formula to undermine the efficacy of the preservative and you use the max % of preservative recommended by the manufacturer.

Don't yell at my everyone, but I will mention Emu does not do much for rheumatoid arthritis and a very beautiful large animal is killed just for a layer of fat. Here in the US Emu meat is eaten in very small amounts so please do your research before using Emu oil. No, I am not kidding that is what the Emu is raised for the layer of fat on their back. Maybe you could make the lotion and replace the Emu oil with Meadowfoam oil. How many worry about using lard, when the whole piggy is used but will use Emu? Just saying... nothing against you Zany, I know it was really popular and I started researching when I found out about an Emu ranch south of me. CBD or Meadowfoam with MSM works better for my daughter. I should not say better since I never used EMU but I did give her a jar of Zany's lotion a few years ago.

Here in Mo they were cooking up emu meat and feeding it at the homeless shelters and it seemed to be received very well.
Cheers
gww
That is good to hear, that someone is finally using the meat.

You can use aloe juice but I do not recommend replacing water especially if you are selling or giving away your lotion unless it is fully challenged tested. I recommend replacing no more than 10% of your water. If it is for your own personal use then you can do whatever you want. Aloe juice is bug food in lotion. I also do a lot of research on preservatives and do a dual preservative system or use phenonip if your emulsifiers support a paraben-based preservative. Always make sure your ingredients are compatible and effective with your preservative.

If you are using Zany's formula I highly recommend you follow it exactly as she has written it. She has made this for years and I am sure it was challenged tested so her preservative system is only reliable as long as you do not change the formula. Zany has long held wholesale accounts for selling her products, so it is really nice of her to share this formula.

She has made this for years and I am sure it was challenged tested so her preservative system is only reliable as long as you do not change the formula.
😁 Actually, I never sold this. We have been using it since 2006 with no negative effects so I did not feel the need to have it challenge tested. I included a link to Cindy Jones services here in CO. Far less expensive than most.

Here in Mo they were cooking up emu meat and feeding it at the homeless shelters and it seemed to be received very well.
That reminded me. When we first moved into this neighborhood in 1995 there was an Emu ranch nearby where everyone used to take the little ones to see the big birds. They sold the meat out of large coolers on the premises. It was popular at the time. I don't know if they processed or sold the fat or not. :smallshrug:
The ranch is gone now and that area has been developed. The owners probably made big bucks on the sale as more and more land is being zoned for residential development.

You can use aloe juice but I do not recommend replacing water especially if you are selling or giving away your lotion unless it is fully challenged tested. I recommend replacing no more than 10% of your water.
I don’t sell, but I’ve decided to just stick with my current recipe that I love! I add aloe powder anyways… it just made me curious! Lol!

Bump Rabbit.gif
BUMPING this for a anyone who wants to make it. :nodding:

Don't yell at my everyone, but I will mention Emu does not do much for rheumatoid arthritis and a very beautiful large animal is killed just for a layer of fat. Here in the US Emu meat is eaten in very small amounts so please do your research before using Emu oil. No, I am not kidding that is what the Emu is raised for the layer of fat on their back. Maybe you could make the lotion and replace the Emu oil with Meadowfoam oil. How many worry about using lard, when the whole piggy is used but will use Emu? Just saying... nothing against you Zany, I know it was really popular and I started researching when I found out about an Emu ranch south of me. CBD or Meadowfoam with MSM works better for my daughter. I should not say better since I never used EMU but I did give her a jar of Zany's lotion a few years ago.
Here's an interesting article that is very informative regarding emu vs ostrich oil and the company "uses every possible by-product" 👍🏻
Personally, I switched to ostrich oil because it's like emu oil but better! And my skin agrees!
https://www.americanostrichfarms.com/

Here's an interesting article that is very informative regarding emu vs ostrich oil and the company "uses every possible by-product" 👍🏻
Personally, I switched to ostrich oil because it's like emu oil but better! And my skin agrees!
https://www.americanostrichfarms.com/
Thanks for that info about the ostrich farm (which is not far from me). I just looked them up. Their fillets are $50/lb, before shipping. o_O

Thanks for that info about the ostrich farm (which is not far from me). I just looked them up. Their fillets are $50/lb, before shipping. o_O
Oh yes, total sticker shock! However, it does address at least part of the issue people may have about raising animals for a single purpose.
I was actually buying from a supplier in Australia prior to the whole covid issue, but due to the radical changes in our economy since then, I settled on this company. I do love their oil and it doesn't have a strong odor at all, as some people might think

Not quite necroposting...

Thanks for sharing this recipe @Zany_in_CO

Can anyone fill me in on the how it works/why use this particular combination? I can't find much of anything online about using topical MSM for arthritis, dosing, etc. but I am still considering giving the recipe a try for the arthritis in my hands. Are there any usage recommendations or product(s) with a similar amount of MSM that is sold commercially? I couldn't find an ingredient list for the Blue-Emu product.

I read something about emu oil having excellent skin penetrating qualities and went down that rabbit hole for a bit. From what I could understand in the papers I read, skin penetration of the oils we use in body products is tied to the size of the molecule (for example, essential oils, especially terpenes, will absorb fast compared with triglycerides) and/or the ability of the molecule to disrupt the skin lipid barrier. Also based on limited research, the kinky polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) linoleic acid and linolenic acid may be better at disrupting skin lipids compared with the straight chain saturated FAs. If I'm way off track here, someone please save me!

If skin penetration of emu oil is mostly about the high percentage of PUFAs, I may try subbing another oil or oil combo in for the emu oil and add a bit of calendula, rosemary +/or other plant infusions to boost the anti-inflammatory effects (see below).

In case anyone is interested, a recent research paper describes emu oil as follows:

"Emu oil was shown to have a low acid and peroxide value, low amounts of carotenoid and phenolic compounds, and high doses of oleic acid and linoleic acid...
Moreover, the presence of minor components, such as chlorophylls, phenolics, or carotenoids, endows emu oil with excellent anti-inflammatory effects via a significant reduction in the levels of proinflammatory cytokines, including TNF- and IL-1... it can be used in cosmetics and oil-based pharmaceuticals for external use, primarily on account of its anti-inflammatory and moisturizing effects."

With this fatty acid composition:
Stearic acid 9%
Palmitic acid 26%
Oleic acid 46% (omega-9; MUFA)
Linoleic acid 14% (omega-6; PUFA)
Linolenic acid 0.4% (omega-3; PUFA)
Palmitoleic acid 4% (omega-7; MUFA)
plus some other FAs in small quantities

edited: I found the ingredient list for Blue-Emu:
Water, Emu Oil, Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Dimethyl Sulfone (MSM), Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Acrylates/Acrylamide Copolymer, Polysorbate 85, Cholecalciferol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera), Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Extract, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey Root) Extract, Zanthoxylum Alatum Fruit Extract, Allantoin, Panthenol, Glucosamine HCl, Triethanolamine, Oleyl Alcohol, Ethoxydiglycol, FD&C Blue 1.

The instructions for use are: For best results, apply liberally 2-3 times daily for 2 weeks and then as needed.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Mobjack Bay for reviving this thread because I hadn't seen it before. I've got terrible arthritis in my fingers (and other joints) that makes it increasingly difficult every year to do all the normal things I always took for granted. I've used MSM/glucosamine/chondroitin supplements with very limited success.

Now I'm wondering if topical MSM might be helpful? And if it is, could the powder be added to lotion bars rather than liquid lotion? I make my LBs with meadowfoam oil that might be a good vehicle for the MSM instead of emu oil.

Back