Mp soap standard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felgie

Reaction score
Hi, i am new to soap making and am thinking of starting with mp soap.
However, i would like to know what is the recomendation of the fragrances and coloring amount for mp soap? Is there any specific rules (temperature, etc) that i need to pay attention to?

I never really measure I just put color in until I'm happy with it the same with scent. Sorry, I can be of more help.

Hi, i am new to soap making and am thinking of starting with mp soap.
However, i would like to know what is the recomendation of the fragrances and coloring amount for mp soap? Is there any specific rules (temperature, etc) that i need to pay attention to?

Colorant I use just a bit in MP until I get the color I want. As for Fragrance you need to know the usage rate that's recommended by the supplier. It will vary from fragrance to fragrance. Once you know the max usage rate you can go by what smells good to you. I don't use much MP but I generally start with 2% and go from there. Some need more some less.

The manufacturer of you m&p can give you the max percentage of fragrance you base will hold. A little hint with mica if you use it, is to mix it with alcohol then add it in until you get the color you want. The alcohol will evaporate out of any leftover mica so you can just leave it in the container you use, adding more alcohol next time you want the color. My daughter always used 1 oz deli cups for mixing her micas.

Regarding fragrance, yes. You need to pay attention to safe usage for skin. Each manufacturer/vendor should have that information available to you on their website. It would be nice if it was on each bottle, but they don't seem to do that for some reason. Some fragrances are very skin sensitizing and if you use too much in any product it can be a real irritant. Also some fragrances Essentials Oils are contraindicated in certain people (pregnant women, for example) and you really need to pay attention to those types of cautions.

Here's a link to help with calculating EOs for use in soap (based on IFRA standards): https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/essential-oil-usage-rates-ifra-guidelines/

The manufacturer of you m&p can give you the max percentage of fragrance you base will hold. A little hint with mica if you use it, is to mix it with alcohol then add it in until you get the color you want. The alcohol will evaporate out of any leftover mica so you can just leave it in the container you use, adding more alcohol next time you want the color. My daughter always used 1 oz deli cups for mixing her micas.
Is the alcohol you mentioned the same as rubbing alcohol? Also, in my place its hard to get 99% rubbing alcohol. I can only get 96%. Will tht matters?

Colorant I use just a bit in MP until I get the color I want. As for Fragrance you need to know the usage rate that's recommended by the supplier. It will vary from fragrance to fragrance. Once you know the max usage rate you can go by what smells good to you. I don't use much MP but I generally start with 2% and go from there. Some need more some less.
For the colorant, is it okay for us to use food colorant?? I am just scared that it will bleed when i use the soap :(

I've never used food coloring. It's not approved for cosmetics and could stain. If you have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby they sell soap colorants that would work in MP.

Back