MP soap - Coffee grounds changed color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFLinOhio

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of WSP Goat Milk MP base with dried (used) coffee grounds.
After I pulled the soap out of the molds, I was surprised to see that the coffee grounds turned a dark grey/black color in the white Goat milk MP base. There were no other issues.
Is this common?

Allow me a stupid question: What colour were you expecting the coffee to turn into? Green?

White pigments (like the titanium dioxide that WSP is putting into their goat milk M&P base) tend to tint any colour into a dirty, light, bluish-cold grey direction.
Coffee itself has an warm, but essentially black colour. I'm not surprised it looks plain grey.

What were you aiming at/hoping for? Maybe there are other ways to achieve this (like dissolving instant coffee into the molten base).

Allow me a stupid question: What colour were you expecting the coffee to turn into? Green?

White pigments (like the titanium dioxide that WSP is putting into their goat milk M&P base) tend to tint any colour into a dirty, light, bluish-cold grey direction.
Coffee itself has an warm, but essentially black colour. I'm not surprised it looks plain grey.

What were you aiming at/hoping for? Maybe there are other ways to achieve this (like dissolving instant coffee into the molten base).

I was expecting it to be close to brown, or mixed with the white...a creamy light brown like a cup of real coffee n creamer. 😊

Thank you for explaining what the titanium dioxide pigment does.

Much appreciated 😊

I just made my first batch of WSP Goat Milk MP base with dried (used) coffee grounds.
After I pulled the soap out of the molds, I was surprised to see that the coffee grounds turned a dark grey/black color in the white Goat milk MP base. There were no other issues.
Is this common?

Good to know! I use their bases but I used the 3 butters base with ground coffee just added to the first pour so it wasn’t mixed throughout. Mine stayed true to color.

As a note, I've heard some people actually use instant coffee in MP soap as well (I've never tried but I plan to). I think the idea is that the exfoliation is more gentle and there are no coffee grounds to clean up during use as the instant stuff just dissolves.

How much instant coffee would be used in 1lb of MP base? dissolved in distilled water or just the MP base?
I have found the coffee grounds to be a bit coarse...not so bad if I rub the soap into my hands then rub my skin...but more harsh if I rub the bar directly on the skin - works great that way though on my heels and rough areas.

I'd likely dissolve it in as small a portion of hot distilled water as possible (e. g. 1 tsp coffee in 1–2 tbsp water), and strain it through a tea strainer (to stop clumps from getting over). Then add it drop-wise into the molten M&P base until you're happy with the colour. A lazy alternative would be caramel food colouring.

Latest posts

Back