mp questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitsmom

Reaction score
hey , you guys are great. i appreciate all the advice i have already recieved on another question. hope you can help me with these. i have tons but i"ll ask a few at a time.
1. where is the best place to get fragrance oils?
2. is spraying the soap with alcohol standard practice? i feel like when i spray it with alcohol then the soap smells like alcohol.
3.i'm struggling with "quality control" issues. how much fragrance oil, how much color. how much base to melt etc.. any tips?
4. do you prefer powdered color(mica) or the liquid?
5. any ideas , other than the standard hearts, wedding bells, for bridal shower favors. i would like to do 3-4 soaps for each guest ,packaged creatively.
5. i saw an adorable soap. it was a ladies dress(the soap looked like it was cut from a cookie cutter?)the entire soap was pink and then the skirt of the dress had white polka dots that looked embedded. if it was a cookie cutter i can't figure out how the dots got there. i searched all over for a dress mold but was unable to find one. any ideas? thanks. sorry to be so chatty. but i truly am excited about my new venture. thanks

There are many places to get FO's. Depends on your preferences.

2. is spraying the soap with alcohol standard practice? i feel like when i spray it with alcohol then the soap smells like alcohol.
Alcohol is what makes it stick together.

3.i'm struggling with "quality control" issues. how much fragrance oil, how much color. how much base to melt etc.. any tips?
Fragrance depends on the strength. I use anywhere between 1/2 oz. to 1 oz per pound of base. I ALWAYS measure by weight. Color is relative. If you use too much the color will bleed on the washcloth.

Mica

5. any ideas , other than the standard hearts, wedding bells, for bridal shower favors. i would like to do 3-4 soaps for each guest ,packaged creatively.
Soap scrolls look cute.

5. i saw an adorable soap. it was a ladies dress(the soap looked like it was cut from a cookie cutter?)the entire soap was pink and then the skirt of the dress had white polka dots that looked embedded. if it was a cookie cutter i can't figure out how the dots got there. i searched all over for a dress mold but was unable to find one. any ideas? thanks. sorry to be so chatty. but i truly am excited about my new venture. thanks
I think what you are talking about is soap paper embedded into a bar of clear soap. I believe I know which soap you are talking about.
[/quote]

I am bookmarking this thread so after I get back from breakfast I can tackle some!

It is of course to your preference but I like Aroma Haven. You should attempt to check around where you live. You can also do a search and enter fragrance oils in (whereever you are).

I do it all the time and it never smells like alcohol only when you first spray.

Start off by weighing your molds with water to see how many ounces it holds and then you know how much base to cut, weigh, and melt.

I use liquid or natural stuff (herbs)

You will have to check out our section of shopping recommendations to find a supplier. The search button has been my best friend thus far.

Well that maybe a regular mold of the shape and someone used soap paints to make a creative looking dress.

Did the soap looked kind of like this?

brasoap.jpg

1. where is the best place to get fragrance oils? I use wholesalesuppliesplus.com most often, Indiana Candle, Day Star and Bittercreek North I can also recomend.

2. is spraying the soap with alcohol standard practice? i feel like when i spray it with alcohol then the soap smells like alcohol. The alcohol evaportaes & the smell does too. Misting w/ alcohol pops surface bubbles & gives you a smooth surface. Bubbles on the back of your bar is the first sign of a begginer soap maker.

3.i'm struggling with "quality control" issues. how much fragrance oil, how much color. how much base to melt etc.. any tips? I would NEVER use more than 1/3oz (1 Tablspoon) of fo per 1# of M&P soap base. Any more than that you run a high chance your base will reject the excess fragrance & push it to the surface of the bar making it gooey. People who make cold precess use 1/2 to 1 oz per pound because it is a differnt process. More than 1/3 oz per pound and you run a much higher risk of skin irritation as well & you do not need that. 1/3oz really is max & at that point even if you added 2oz, it's not going to smell any stronger.

4. do you prefer powdered color(mica) or the liquid? I prefer gel colorant, it's easier to control than liquid because it is thicker but blends better than powders that can clump

5. any ideas , other than the standard hearts, wedding bells, for bridal shower favors. i would like to do 3-4 soaps for each guest ,packaged creatively. Google chocolate molds & you will find tons of options, search ebay for chocolate or candy molds too.

6. i saw an adorable soap. it was a ladies dress(the soap looked like it was cut from a cookie cutter?)the entire soap was pink and then the skirt of the dress had white polka dots that looked embedded. if it was a cookie cutter i can't figure out how the dots got there. i searched all over for a dress mold but was unable to find one. any ideas? thanks. sorry to be so chatty. but i truly am excited about my new venture. thanks It sounds like the polka dots are "embedded" (maybe soap embeds, maybe decals, maybe rubber embeds, any number of items can be embedded into soap). This is what I would do 1st make the polka dots (small soaps) or what ever shape you are embedding. Let it harden. 2) Place the polka dots on a cookie sheet. 3) melt the soap you plan to make the dress out of . 4) mist the polks dots heavy with alcohol. 5) pour the new soap over & around the polka dots & allow to harden. 6) use the cookie cutter. If you do not use alcohol & pour the second soap while the alcohol is still wet on your dots, the dots will not stick in the second soap, they will pop out.

mp question

soapbuddy,pepperi, tabitha, thanks your experience is appreciated!! more questions to follow!!! thanks

Latest posts

Back