MP + Mica + Glycerin = Glop...?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AhZo

Reaction score
I have noticed this a few times. Apologies: I have brain problems and although I take notes I can not always remember what page the notes of a particular issue is on.
Also, I have not really ended on a consistent technique.
Today I brewed a batch of Crafters Choice Shea butter detergent free with lavender EO which was supposed to be a purple mica & white swirl.
The colour half upon receiving the mica mixed with glycerin immediately turned into a putty sort of glop.
I have noticed this in the past but thought I was doing something else wrong, but I think on paper I am doing everything correct in the way I have gleaned info from a bunch of different (oft conflicting) YouTubes or random interwebz posts.
It may have also happened when I used Titanium White on something, so...must be the glyvcerin?
What do you use to mix in mica?

Glad I make half loaves! LOL

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol to mix my mica for melt and pour. I have never used glycerin so I unfortunately can't help you there.

And you have never had any issues similar to the one I posted?
I will try alcohol next time!
Thank you

Oh **** - will have to (read: get to) make another batch...! LOL

And you have never had any issues similar to the one I posted?
I will try alcohol next time!
Thank you

Oh **** - will have to (read: get to) make another batch...! LOL
I have never had any issues using 99% isopropyl alcohol. I have never tried a different percentage of alcohol either.

I have never had any issues using 99% isopropyl alcohol. I have never tried a different percentage of alcohol either.

For some reason, all the isopropryl alcohol I have run across here is 99%. At least that is what our local pharmacy carries.

For some reason, all the isopropryl alcohol I have run across here is 99%. At least that is what our local pharmacy carries.
You are lucky then. I have to order it online because all I can find is 70%. I really wished I could find it locally since I also use it to clean my 3d printers.

You are lucky then. I have to order it online because all I can find is 70%. I really wished I could find it locally since I also use it to clean my 3d printers.

Maybe it is like Kinder Eggs: some things we have in Canada that are tougher/impossible to get in the US because: reasons...?

Maybe it is like Kinder Eggs: some things we have in Canada that are tougher/impossible to get in the US because: reasons...?
It could be. Seems like everything we buy has some kind of warning on it because common sense has gone out the window. If the warnings don't work it seems like they get rid of it.

Ugh. That was not it.
I used alcohol this time and it still glopped up.
The soap is the perfect consistency, than I add the mica with the smallest amount of alcohol and before it is even all stirred in it is all a gloppy, unpourable mess.

I am calling it an embed then.
The joys of learning disabilities: you can step through everything as you understand it to be exactly how it is supposed to go but the process yields different results.

I am doing something wrong.
Guess I will go back to beginner videos and/or single colour/no swirl soaps.

Edit to add:
I am wondering if the issue is the alcohol + mica, well at least the alcohol, since it evaporates at room temp so easily, this would lower the temp of the soap and start the glopping where the purple alcohol is mixing in...or something. Even though it is a small amount of alcohol, the results are more dramatic since this is my second layer and I have been avoiding getting my soap too hot, keeping it right around a baseline temp that I have in my notes. So, I am thinking I will need to keep my second and third layers warmer while the first layer gets to the temp to pour.

That is: The wait time PLUS the alcohol might be lowering the temp too fast. So, I need to resolve the temp issue.
This is why I will not do CP: early stages of dementia really suck. It is like you have known cherries to taste a certain way your whole life, and you have memories of it. And then someone all of a sudden says, "No, cherries taste like chocolate" and you think they are crazy, but then you find plenty of supporting evidence for their comment and the whole universe just melts into a big vat of WTH?!? When I disappear from here, you will know why - I will be too far gone. Pity my caregiver! LOL

Last edited:
what temperature are u melting your MP soap to? you may need to reheat in microwave for 10-20 seconds after adding mica,
I am going to agree with this. If you are having the problem of glopping with both glycerin and isopropyl alcohol, then your glopping has to be from being not hot enough from the start.

I'm not sure what videos you watch but one I suggest is some of the older videos from Brambleberry. Back in her soap queen days she seems to explain things a lot better. Her newer ones seems more like how to ads for the kits she sells.

I'm guess the cold liquid you are mixing your mica in is thickening the soap. Personally I don't mix my mica with anything, I add it directly to the MP, just a little of the soap and take your time to mix in any lumps.
You can make MP color blocks by mixing a little soap with a lot of mica, get it nice and smooth. Poor into small molds, then you can just cut a chunk off the block off and add to your base to color it.

I add my mica mixed with alcohol before I even melt the soap down. I pour it into the pitcher with the cut chunks and then pop it in the microwave to melt. It blends in beautifully after stirred.

I add my mica mixed with alcohol before I even melt the soap down. I pour it into the pitcher with the cut chunks and then pop it in the microwave to melt. It blends in beautifully after stirred.
Oh my - is it bad if I never measure exactly how much mica I use?
I have always eyeballed it - get it to the colour I feel at the time.

Sorta resolved: It is a 2nd layer temperature thing.
Just tried yetanother batch (this time Rose scent, goat milk base, purple & rose swirl...mmmm) and I made sure to get the 2nd layer up to the full temp. It of course melted the thick skin on the first layer so: no good chunky swirl. Maybe it will have some nice fine swirling/colour mixing and look a little more purty hippie tie dye - which with rose scent might be kinda Deadheadish, no...? ;)

Chalk this up to: bad YouTube info and/or misunderstanding (which happens quite a bit for me. *sigh*)
I need to find just the -right- temp to get the second layer and get an idea of how thick the skin on the first layer should be. Guess that will just be practice since my faith in YouTube advice has reached its usual bottom! LOL
What I love about MP is that even if it looks horrid, it is still great soap!

Edit to add: Also another great thing about MP - Was making this right next to the crock pot with a batch of birria (beef stew with guajillo, ancho, cinnamon, ginger, etc) and the dogs intermittently checking up on what I am doing.

Sorta resolved: It is a 2nd layer temperature thing.
Just tried yetanother batch (this time Rose scent, goat milk base, purple & rose swirl...mmmm) and I made sure to get the 2nd layer up to the full temp. It of course melted the thick skin on the first layer so: no good chunky swirl. Maybe it will have some nice fine swirling/colour mixing and look a little more purty hippie tie dye - which with rose scent might be kinda Deadheadish, no...? ;)

Chalk this up to: bad YouTube info and/or misunderstanding (which happens quite a bit for me. *sigh*)
I need to find just the -right- temp to get the second layer and get an idea of how thick the skin on the first layer should be. Guess that will just be practice since my faith in YouTube advice has reached its usual bottom! LOL
What I love about MP is that even if it looks horrid, it is still great soap!

Edit to add: Also another great thing about MP - Was making this right next to the crock pot with a batch of birria (beef stew with guajillo, ancho, cinnamon, ginger, etc) and the dogs intermittently checking up on what I am doing.
It sounds like you just need to wait a little longer between the first and second layer. You could also try to pour on your spatula as you are pouring to break the fall so it will hopefully not puncture through your first layer.

It sounds like you just need to wait a little longer between the first and second layer. You could also try to pour on your spatula as you are pouring to break the fall so it will hopefully not puncture through your first layer.

Well, I had to reheat the second layer before pouring, but I heated to the original temp. I need to find optimum pouring temp vs optimum mixing temp and so many numbers and statuses status's stati...whut....brain melting.
I feel I really had this months ago when I did a whole bunch of batches of soap before getting distracted with beard balm, moustache wax, candles, etc. But I did not have my 'crafting journal' yet.
What temp do you pour a second layer?

It's been so long that I have made them I really didn't remember so I went on a search for you. This link should be able to help you. I know it's easier to just tell you but I figured you could bookmark this and make it easier for you in the future.

It's been so long that I have made them I really didn't remember so I went on a search for you. This link should be able to help you. I know it's easier to just tell you but I figured you could bookmark this and make it easier for you in the future.

Wonderful! Thank you!!!

Back