MP formulation question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garland68

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to create an Acne facial bar. I need to add 2% Salicylic Acid to the bar. I need to dissolve the SA in oil but I am unsure of how much oil I can add to a basic clear glycerin base. I bought the base at Michael's but it does not say how much I can add.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have read that you can add 1 TBSP of oil or butter to M&P without causing problems. The problem with adding too much to M&P is that the oil or butters would not go through Saponification and could spoil. Also adding too much to M&P may cause the qualities of the M&P to lessen, like less lather. I am not an expert and have read these things on soap boards, so keep looking for more answers!
I honestly don't think adding a small amount would hurt anything!
Jeff

Typically, they say up to 1 Tbsp of oils per pound of M&P. You can also push the envelope and test how much you can actually add before it starts affecting lather, because there is always the possibility you might get more in there. If you add too much oil, you can get an oily top to the M&P. But if you want to stay safe and don't have much base to play around with, stick with 1 Tbsp. per lb. :)

perfectsoap said:
I have read that you can add 1 TBSP of oil or butter to M&P without causing problems. The problem with adding too much to M&P is that the oil or butters would not go through Saponification and could spoil. Also adding too much to M&P may cause the qualities of the M&P to lessen, like less lather. I am not an expert and have read these things on soap boards, so keep looking for more answers!
I honestly don't think adding a small amount would hurt anything!
Jeff

This is the second time this week I have read on a forum that adding more than 1 tbsp/lb of oils to M&P could possibly make the oils spoil. What about superfatting in CP? They are left after sap and don't spoil. So why would they with M&P?

I add way more than 1 tbsp/lb of oils, butters and other additives and have never had an issue with lather. I've never had oils spoil because of it either.

The trick is to balance out your solid additives and liquid additives. That takes practice and experimentation.

One tablespoon ppo is equivalent to 6 percent superfatting. Susan Miller Cavitch has taken flack for her usual 10 percent superfatting, a fairly excessive amount compared to her contemporaries.

Soap is soap (to some degree) whether it is CP or M&P. I happen to think that Cavitch's limit of 10 percent represents the upper limit at least without preservatives, so 1-2 tablespoons ppo in M&P soap seems a reasonable limit, 1 being conservative and 2 being liberal.

Mine must be quite liberal then considering to my last batch of M&P (1 1/2 lb batch), I added 2 tbsp of oils, 2 tbsps of butters, and 1 tbsp of beeswax... It's neither slimy nor soft, and lathers quite nicely...

I'm not sure but I think the beeswax was a good move, because of its soap hardening qualities.

The real problem you may face is in the shelf life of your bars and the possibility of DOS or rancidity. If you use them up quickly it should make no nevermind. :)

Back