Moving up

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am ready to go from my 1 lb mold to a 3 lb mold. Question about fragrance and sodium lactate. Should I reduce my water by the amount of fragrance and sodium lactate I put in my recipe?

Thanks

Why would you think you need to do that?

Why would you think you need to do that?
I guess it was something that popped into my head since it will be the first time I add fragrance. Didn't think much about it with just the sodium lactate but thought by now adding more liquid (fragrance) it would effect the lye concentrate. Sound like I'm okay to move forward without any changes.

I guess it was something that popped into my head since it will be the first time I add fragrance. Didn't think much about it with just the sodium lactate but thought by now adding more liquid (fragrance) it would effect the lye concentrate. Sound like I'm okay to move forward without any changes.
It never hurts to ask. Happy soaping 🙂

Wow...okay...that makes total sense. On one hand I feel like an idiot for not questioning it myself since I know that if you're adding say, more than a tablespoon of a liquid like pumpkin puree to a pound of oils you need to subtract it from your water, but on the other hand I use a soap calculator and just assumed that it was included. But I just ran my recipe through SMF and SoapCalc and there was no change in my water or lye amounts regardless of the amount of FO I was adding.

Rabbit hole aside, you'll be fine. Speaking for myself, I've made soap with and without scent and noticed no difference in the outcome.

I had the same question when I started using vanilla stabilizer, since that adds another amount of liquid, usually equal to the amount of FO. Everyone said not to worry, so I don't. But I do tend to use a 40% lye concentration anyway, which leaves a lot of room for additional liquid without risking any warping or other weird outcomes.

Back