Moving and packing stink! I'm losing my mind lol...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
So, thanks to the financial crisis with the roommate, I'm moving in 4 days. If things go well and my cousin comes through, I'll be moving into a 1 bedroom that I can afford alone. If things don't go well, then everything I own goes into storage and I couch hop for the first time in decades.

I'm packing up my stuff and it occurred to me that if my stuff goes into storage, what do I do with the little bit of lye I have? It's not much, or I woulda used it to make a batch of soap with what little oils have left. But I'm unsure what I should do if I have to put it in storage. Should I just mix it with some water (heavily diluted) and dump it down the drain? Seems the best solution to me if I have to get rid of what little I have.

Feedback welcome and appreciated :)

You can discard lye through the drain if you dilute it enough. Just make sure to wear your gloves and goggles and avoid any splashes. Drain cleaner is mostly lye and dishwashing detergent also used to contain lye, so it's really nothing unusual.

I'm going to move in a few months too and I decided that a lot of my stuff is not worth moving. I have a lot of furniture that would have to be replaced sometime within the next 1-2 years, so I'm just going to throw that all out.

Hmm... I'd probably dump it in a little water and pour down the drain if I can't take it anywhere. But I would really try to hold out until you know if you will have a place or not.

If I never have to see another box in the next millennium, it will be too soon. Geez. I'm almost done packing. I've tossed so much junk it's amazing, yet there's still what feels like a basquillion boxes LOL

One good thing - you can have a ruthless throw out/clean up! That always feels good. [emoji2]

Oh for sure LOL. I'm being truly brutal this time. I have no desire to haul anything more than I have to, so I'm tossing anything I found and forgot I owned, I haven't used in six months and won't again for another six months, or haven't seen nor missed in 3 months. It's getting real in here LOL

That's exactly what I did when I got married and moved here. I sent the family albums to my daughter to scan into the computer, and was absolutely ruthless on what to keep.

Once I got here, we had the old, "do we keep mine or yours?" discussion over everything. All the extras went into a box for said daughter who was starting her first semester in college. She may want to move into an apartment next year, so she will need lots of stuff.

Susie I've been downright evil in my level of tossing things during this move. In the last few years, as I've gotten older, I've discovered I care so much less about accumulating things than I do about using things. I've never been materialistic, never been someone who cared about owning valuable they things, but I have learned that I collect what I think are useful things. I think it comes from having always been low income, except for short periods in my life. And from having been at the bottom with nothing. I've learned that I collect useful things because it makes me feel safe, secure, prepared for whatever life tosses at me. When I realized this is when I started purging excess, tossing out or giving away things i didn't truly use. It has been quite cathartic at times. This time is no different. I'm looking at this move as a chance to start at zero, not in the hole, and with that thinking comes the attitude of purge the unnecessary junk.

Latest posts

Back