Mouse Proofing Drying/Curing Rack

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the process of creating my soaping room in a sectioned off area in our large barn (with cement floors), and will be building some drying/curing cabinets or racks. Of course, every attempt will be made to keep mice out of the room itself, but unfortunately, mice seem to be an inevitable part of the farm life. I know mice can be very persistent when they want to. Any suggestions on how to create something that still has air-flow but is also impenetrable to the obnoxious little creatures?

I am in the process of creating my soaping room in a sectioned off area in our large barn (with cement floors), and will be building some drying/curing cabinets or racks. Of course, every attempt will be made to keep mice out of the room itself, but unfortunately, mice seem to be an inevitable part of the farm life. I know mice can be very persistent when they want to. Any suggestions on how to create something that still has air-flow but is also impenetrable to the obnoxious little creatures?

I don't know what you'd call it, but here it's called "farm cloth." It is a fine mesh wire (about 1/4" squares) that keeps out mice and other critters. If it was me, I'd make wooden racks and tack the mesh to the racks. You'll have to make a door, of course. I used this stuff to make a giant guinea pig cage. It was strong enough for my cat to sit on top of it. If you are using pre-made racks, then you'd need to rig some mesh walls to attach to the rack or make a mesh cage for the racks. The mice will have a good time climbing it, but they can't get in it.

ETA: link for product.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_492388-16418-840147___?productId=4780937&pl=1&Ntt=wire+fence+rolls

Last edited:
^^^exactly right^^^
What Teresa said. We've mouse-proofed our chicken coop with this stuff, kept great ventilation inside th coop by covering all gaps and eaves with it.

I'm jealous. Not only would it be heavenly to have a separate soaping room, but you get to have it in a barn!

Thank you, Teresa and mzimm!
We actually have some of that wire mesh stuff but I wasn't sure if the openings would be small enough. I am shocked at some of the microscopic places they have gotten into! I do think I have seen that cloth in 1/8" too so that might work.
mzimm, although clearing everything out of that area in the barn has been a nightmare, it is wonderful to finally be getting a separate soaping area. I might actually be able to cook food again...and we might finally be able to move all the supplies and soap off our dining room table and actually have a place to eat said food! :)

Steve, thank you for the duct tape suggestion and especially the warning with the metal and DOS. Didn't even think of that!

Last edited:
If you're lucky enough to have a smaller hardware store around you that does rescreening for windows, you may be able to get the metal window screen mesh. It's getting harder and harder to find the metal. Everyone wants to go to the nylon stuff now, and a mouse can and will chew through it. But the metal...that stuff is great!

Leave some just soaped raw soap batter near your curing rack, after getting burned a few times the rodents might just leave your soaps alone.

Back