Mountain Rose Herbs - tax exemption form - anyone else received it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishmish

Reaction score
I purchase bulk herbs from them for use in my products, but also some for personal use. They sent me a letter saying that they are now going to have to charge businesses from some other states sales tax unless they have an exemption certificate. But the form that they sent doesn't seem to be applicable to our industry - it's more for farmers. Has anyone else received a similar letter, and what steps have you taken, if any?

Most businesses are not tax exempt- they are mostly churches, non profits, social/welfare programs, etc.
You would know it if you are tax exempt. You'll probably just need to pay the taxes, unfortunately.

Most businesses are not tax exempt- they are mostly churches, non profits, social/welfare programs, etc.

If you purchase supplies (oils, fragrances, packaging) for production, you do not pay sales tax because you are also collecting a sales tax at the time of your sale - or factoring that in to your retail price and paying sales tax per show/monthly/quarterly/biannually/annually depending on where you sold it. You can be tax exempt for certain items if you are producing and selling product.

Oh, that is good to know! I obviously don't have a business...My last job was all about HR services, payroll, benefits etc. I just immediately thought it was talking about a tax exempt status. Whoops! My mistake! :oops:

Latest posts

Back