Mottled Color -- Why Not Consistent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Soap Friends, Here is a picture of a bar of soap after it cured for about a month. As you can see there is kind of an uneven consistency in terms of color, mottled. Is there something I could do to get a "smoother" look? Here is the recipe. Thanks! Dave
Avocado Oil 4 oz Castor Oil 2 oz Coconut Oil 6 oz Olive Oil 10 oz Palm Oil 6 oz Lye 3.8oz Distilled Water 8 oz Anise Splash

photo 1.JPG

Did you gel this soap? Can you post a picture or two in different lighting as well? I think I see what you mean but I'm not 100% I am looking at what you are.

My first thought is that it looks like partial gel with some ash on the surfaces that did not gel.

Partial gel is exactly what it looks like. There's nothing wrong with the soap other than aesthetics.

I'd give it a good cure time and see if the color doesn't come closer to the part that did not gel. More than likely though it won't because gelled usually gets darker if I remember right.

Looks good and sounds like a good soap recipe!

Latest posts

Back