Mother daughter bonding time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverdragon0315

Reaction score
I just ordered some supplies to make candles with my mother. I got soy 464 wax, 16 oz wide mouth ball jars (Height 4.75" Diameter: 3.25"), wicks (Size: 6” long, Dia- 0.08”, 45 ply, flat braid), and some scents made for soy wax. I got a pouring pot, some bowties for centering, and a thermometer.

~Is there anything anyone can reccomend to make the process easier or tips perhaps?
~Does my wick seem the right size if not can someone reccomend the right sizing? I would have gotten them off the same site I ordered everything else but they were all sold out of wicks......
~I debated adding color but it seemed complicated enough to try to make scented candles on our first try without adding the complexity of color but if anyone has opinions I'd love to hear them?

I am sorry if I am asking a lot of questions but my mom has been sick a lot for the last few years and the pandemic has her really down and worried. I wanted to do something to brighten her day and she used to make dip candles back in the 70's when my oldest brother was really little so I know this will make her really happy! Any and all support is appreciated!

Wick size needed can vary from fragrance to fragrance. It will require testing. Candles are not easy to make contrary to what many think. I think they are harder to do than making soap. I've only made wax melts a time or two but have read a ton on making candles and I just wasn't into another expensive endeavor.

What a thoughtful daughter you are.

CandleScience has a LEARN section that is very helpful, it has both videos and downloadable PDFs.
Learn Candle Making | Helpful Guides and Tutorials
I have found the following guides extremely helpful. The product guidelines are limited to what Candle Science sells, but most of the waxes are widely sold. I found the wick guideline to be a starting point, particularly for unusual shapes. I live by their burn guide, any time I try a new wax, wick, or container. I can't stress how important it is to conduct a burn test, particularly if you want a good quality candle.
Also, particularly for soy candles, you want at least a 2 week cure time to test the fragrance throw.
Wax Guide
Wick Guide - Find The Right Candle Wick For Your Candles
How To Conduct a Basic Burn Test
The only problem with CandleScience is that their shipping is really expensive.

hope this helps

Hello Silverdragon,
Welcome to candle making. A 45ply is a very large wick and will be too big for most wax/scent/3.25" diameter candles. Every wax/scent/diameter may need a different wick and the only way to know is testing.

Since you are not selling candles you can make sure that you keep your wicks trimmed to 1/4" so they don't soot like crazy.

Basically you will want to heat your GB464 to 180-190F in a double boiler
Prime your wick if it is raw. Confetti Pillar Candle Making with Pictures Shows how to prime with pictures.
Wick jar
Add scent and color. (Will vary by manufacturer/desired amount) Ours are .6 -.8oz per pound.
Stir vigorously for 2 minutes. (Don't use a whisk)
Pour wax into jar
Let cure for 2 days

This is the absolute basics. There are millions of little things that candle makers do to get good candles. But since you just want to have something fun to do this should help.

Thanks Carolyn.

@silverdragon0315, The advice that @Nona'sFarm gave is about the same as I would give. I will stress to use the wick chart as a guideline only though, because I have found that most of the time Candle Science's wick charts are off by a few sizes.
I personally wouldn't use a flat braid with with a container candle, and a 45 seems to be big and may end up tunneling. Look into CD's or LX wicks. I find those to be the best when working with soy (which admittedly I don't do very often - I find soy to be WAY too picky of a wax for my tastes, but many candle makers use it successfully)

And like Nona said, since you are making soy candles, to get the best scent throw and the best burn, you will want to cure (wait to burn) for at least 10 days to 2 weeks.
You absolutely CAN burn sooner, but as stated, for the best 'bang for your buck' so to speak, a 10 day cure is best.

What a great idea to spend the time with your mom during this time.

I have to say things are looking good. They are cooling evenly no visible issues. Candles are curing now but we made some wax melts and clamshells and mom couldn't wait so sbe melted one of the little wax squares today to test and the whole apartment smells like Gain. Which she is extremely pleased about.

Mad props to my mom. She's very sick she's got lung cancer in remission, COPD, and a pacemaker. However all of this could not take the arm strength of 26+ years of painting houses from her. She insisted on pouring all the candles and she was so smooth and even not a drop of wax escaped her. She was so excited she got into telling me stories of making dip candles back in the day. I added a picture of me and Mom having fun so that I could thank y'all for all of the help.
IMG_20200531_134437_01.jpg

More photos mama filled a few a little high but we will make it work no worries the important bit is she had fun!

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_214602_01~2.jpg
    IMG_20200530_214602_01~2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200530_205541008.jpg
    IMG_20200530_205541008.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200531_140903424.jpg
    IMG_20200531_140903424.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200531_140845705.jpg
    IMG_20200531_140845705.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200531_140810943.jpg
    IMG_20200531_140810943.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200531_140805496_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200531_140805496_HDR.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 7
Hello everybody. Just wanted to share with you my candle making experience with my 4 years old daughter. It was so amazing to roll beeswax candles! I didn't expect that my daughter will be involved in candle making process so much. By the way that brand created very nice and easy instruction for beginners. Do you like it? If you want the same kit you can order it on amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...craft+kit+for+kids&hidden-keywords=B0878T8CKZ

Back