Mostly Soft Oils/Replacing Palm Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! My Natural Grocer's had shea and a 75%cocoa/25%jojoba oil in a small quantity at a decent price.

When using a 'blend' you will want to split that out in SoapCalc.

No palm oil still but with these hard oils to pick from it shouldn't cause an issue now. I didnt get a chance to go over to other stores to look for spectrum shortening to experiment with as well

I'm in Oregon and have Palm Oil to spare if you're somewhere along I-5 between Salem and SW Portland.

I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner, PixelVixen, as I'm in Portland and might have been able to help you with some supplies. It'll be important for you to compare prices on products if you continue soaping--and I really hope you continue, as it's a wonderfully fulfilling and rewarding past-time--but another supplier to consider is Shay and Company. In general, I find their prices are on the high side, but they've been expanding their product line and are located in Milwaukie (so they're close to you). IF you're able to pick up your order from them, you can avoid shipping costs, making the pain that accompanies purchasing supplies much less intense. Good luck in your soaping journey!

I'm also in Oregon...just checked the company out. Bees Wax is way high, Cocoa Butter a little high, Kokum Butter and Shea Butter are way cheaper. So I will be checking them out to see what their quality is like.

They've been in business a long time, and I've been purchasing from them for 20-25 years and have never had any issues with the quality of their products. (I always get my lye from them, in particular.) Their prices are quite high on some things, but not paying shipping can even out the playing field. I usually buy things in large quantities, so I try to plan purchases and take advantage of sales whenever/wherever possible. I also like to source supplies in my own community if practical, however, and order processing is always very speedy with this company, which means you can get things from them quickly (vs waiting a while for a shipment to be delivered). Since I'm not working right now, I can help out anyone fairly close to me if you can't get there and need help with order pick-up. (I think there's a way to privately message me on this system, so feel free to contact me.) Anyway, hope this option works out for some of you, and Happy Almost-Memorial Day!

Back