Morphing Ultramarine Blue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songwind

Reaction score
I have WSP's Cobalt Blue Ultramarine Powder. I've used it a few times, in both HP and CP soap. Until now, it's been totally reliable, always producing a nice blue in line with the amount that I used.

This weekend I created a set of TARDIS soaps. I scented them with a mixture of almond biscotti and raspberry cream oils to mimic a bakewell tart, and did an in-the-pot swirl, 2/3 ultramarine blue, 1/6 oil-mixed TD and 1/6 Americana Red Oxide. It went fine, aside from putting one of my ITP blobs too close to the spout and getting one soap red w/ white and blue accents. :thumbdown:

Imagine my surprise when I looked in on them a couple of hours later to find that the blue had turned a medium mint green.

I've used the same recipe w/ this powder before without any issues.

Anyone have the same experience? Or see anything that stands out as a likely culprit to you?

At this point I'm guessing it must be something to do with the fragrance oils, as I haven't used those two things together.

I'm thinking it may have been your fragrance oil? Were either one really yellow? That's the only thing I can think of making it green. I've never had Ultramarine Blue morph on me before. Though I've not used WSP's.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it may have been your fragrance oil? Were either one really yellow? That's the only think I can think of making it green. I've never had Ultramarine Blue morph on me before. Though I've not used WSP's.

Not particularly yellow, just a bit yellowish. I'm not super upset about it because I will advertise them as Christmas-style.

Almond biscotti sounds like an FO that might have a high vanilla content. If so, it could be discoloring. Sometimes, discoloring FO's go bright yellow before they go brown. Yellow + Blue = green. That might be whats happening here.

Almond biscotti sounds like an FO that might have a high vanilla content. If so, it could be discoloring. Sometimes, discoloring FO's go bright yellow before they go brown. Yellow + Blue = green. That might be whats happening here.

Hopefully that's all it is and the green may fade.

I recently had this happen to me with a batch made with UM Blue. When I added the FO (which was a bit yellow), the beautiful deep blue color of my batter turned forest green and stayed that way until it gelled, at which time it thankfully went back to the initial deep, beautiful blue (and happily has stayed that way).

I've found that with UM blue, the color I end up with depends on the intensity of the yellow color of the FO I'm using, along with the quantity of UM blue I'm using with it. Knowing this, I've purposely made lovely pastel green soaps before by using just a little UM blue with a yellowing FO. Hopefully, you used enough of the blue to overpower the yellowing of the FO.

IrishLass :)

I don't have anything constructive to add, but really want to see these TARDIS soaps!!
Your wish is my command.
tardis.jpg

Last edited:
That's so cool looking- as if it's being licked by living flames of fire. Maybe you could tell people that the Daleks tried to destroy it in a blazing inferno. lol (I love Dr. Who)

IrishLass :)

I have nothing to add as my thoughts run in tandem with Galaxy's. I just wanted to say that's an AWESOME tardis! Great work even though the color isn't what you intended but like you said, it follows the holiday theme. :thumbup:

Well, after curing off in the corner on their own, they continued changing color.

The final product:
wBzKtmLl.jpg

Thankfully, the colors still work with the scent (Bakewell Tart, rasperry and almond pastry) so it's not a disaster.

(1) where did you get your TARDIS mold and how big is it? (2) and more important, did you see the teaser that Peter Jackson is going to direct an episode of Dr Who. That will be totally EPIC!! (Pun intended!)

(1) where did you get your TARDIS mold and how big is it? (2) and more important, did you see the teaser that Peter Jackson is going to direct an episode of Dr Who. That will be totally EPIC!! (Pun intended!)

They were a gift, but I think they came from Amazon. They hold about 5oz of soap.

Latest posts

Back