Morning Disaster--Come Laugh With Me!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittie

Reaction score
Good Morning All I hope you all have a good laugh with me.
This is how it went,
I decided to do my recipe creation of a CP shampoo bar, a spin-off from Genny's recipe. I'd read on that thread for 2 weeks, doing soapcalc many times for my hair type needs, but worked out my recipe.

This morning, as a good gal, I cleaned my kitchen completely, even the stove top got EasyOff and cleaned all sparkly.
Got my ingredients organized. Check!
Made lye/water
Weighed Oils into pitcher
Felt happy until I looked in pitcher
DH brought home a handful of silicone gloves a few days ago and put them in pitcher without telling me....:Kitten Love:...of course I didn't look in pitcher!
Not being the quitter, reamed the oils off the gloves best I could into pitcher and weighed gloves at 75 grams as they were still quite oily
Added back the oils, 27 grams of correct ratio of oils into pitcher as a gues-timate??
Measured Fragrance oil -- Jasmine Vanilla, my fav
Got temps of both oils and lye/water to match
Removed 1/4 cup oils for mixing mica "Cloissone Red"
Proceeded to mix mica in Fragrance Oil :problem:
Realization hit of what I just did and I put oil back in pitcher
Plowing ahead, adding LW to pitcher and got L trace in 3-4 min with SB
Dumped FO and mica into pitcher and SB to M trace in 3 more min
Soap CP was acting normal, but I guess I wasn't my usual self :Kitten Love:
Poured into a quart half n half carton
Color morphed from a nice medium pink to a sickly tan as I poured

I'm glad it was only a 1 lb batch! IDK what the results are going to be, but I will surely post as I watch it progress as my "Mystery Recipe"

Kittie's Final Thoughts: Now I have to wait 6 weeks for cure, to use it, and that this would probably be the best shampoo bar recipe ever, for my hair, and I probably wouldn't be able to repeat the recipe again. But I did get a good laugh at myself :p
I HOPE YOU LAUGHED TOO! That would make me feel better!

:grin:

Aw, Kittie, I feel for you. As long as there's no permanent damage, we can only laugh at our mistakes. I assume everyone here is a super-smarty and does everything right, and I'm the only bumblygums. Like my last batch, where I weighed out all my oils, mixed my lye water, hummed a little waiting for it to cool, then saw my coconut oil still sitting in the weigh-out pitcher, all, "Um, hello? You forgot about me." I thought the oil batch looked a little small but what do I know? Thank goodness i caught it in time.

Thank you for laughing with me! Yes, I can and do laugh at myself 'when I can' and it's kind of fun to not feel embarrassed to do so. Now, I'm just wondering how this batch is going to turn out. It's okay if it's not PINK shampoo bars and I just hope the perform as a shampoo bar.
It started out by getting quite solid opaque tan after a few minutes in the mold , no zap on tongue after it was a firm stage.
I just went and peeked, it is now turning into a soft jello looking full gel phase throughout the molds :p and looking like jiggly wet brown sugar throughout! Hmmm, wonder what the end result in color will be. I never know on these little disasters!
Soap salvation maybe? :p In any case I will tell myself I meant to make TAN Shampoo Bars. Gotta embrace this stuff or go goofy :shh:

Yesterday I used the wrong number for my glycerin. Used the CO number twice. Didn't even think about it until just after I poured it in...

Sure you'll be able to recreate it! Just make sure to put a handful of gloves in the pitcher!!:p Thank you for the laugh, and yes it happens to all of us! Happy soaping.

Sure you'll be able to recreate it! Just make sure to put a handful of gloves in the pitcher!!:p Thank you for the laugh, and yes it happens to all of us! Happy soaping.
Oy! Dorymae, you crack me up...LOLOL:clap:

Yesterday I used the wrong number for my glycerin. Used the CO number twice. Didn't even think about it until just after I poured it in...

Yep, and I noticed after this morning that the printout from soapcalc has
checkboxes to check off our ingredients as we add them..:D..I'm all googly over finding that! Were we sleepy or something?

It is done with gelling. Starting to firm up a bit. at the gooier than gel and starting to be opaque.
There's still hope...:p

Yep, and I noticed after this morning that the printout from soapcalc has
checkboxes to check off our ingredients as we add them..:D..I'm all googly over finding that! Were we sleepy or something?

Check off ingredients as I add them....:oops:

So simple & so effective and I never even thought of it..... *facepalm*

UPDATE
Yes the color was a light golden brown sugar, not the pink which I had envisioned, I unmolded easily, sliced, and let it sit for days. Then impatience, I grabbed a bar :twisted: and washed my hair with it and it was good, rubbed it only a few times over wet head and the creamy lather was amazing and thick. I had half the normal amount of hair fall from washing. Excellent! Then I washed my whole self with it and that was good. I felt clean and fresh.
This morning, my hair is soft and feels fuller, my skin is so smooth. I had had a rough forearm problem that hung on for years, which no lotion or cream that I made could take care of. But today, the roughness was 80% gone. :-D

SO for a excellent soap, I'm going to make another batch but without the gloves in the mix pitcher, and when I do, I will post the recipe.

I THINK ONE MORE SHOWER WITH THIS BAR AND my forearm roughness will be gone, no lye!:mrgreen:

Dorymae, thank you! Now I feel confident! I will be recreating this recipe this morning...:mrgreen:

I could NOT wait. I used the end cuts. Very nice shampoo bars and my hair was soft and sleek after air drying. Saturday, I gave away two to my computer guy, who has saved me so many times! I didn't tell him it was Jasmine Vanilla :p I just said Vanilla. He liked the scent too.

Recipe I used for my Shampoo Bars:
Avocado oil 30%
Castor oil 10%
Olive oil 40%
Shea butter 10%
Coconut oil 10%
FO of your choice, Jasmine Vanilla amount I used 0.5 oz PPO. Light and nice fragrance. Nothing overpowering. Got little whiffs while letting hair dry. Nice.

SF @ 7%
Water and lye amounts I used were based on soapcalc

I did use EVOO because that's what I had on hand.
I am happy with this recipe. I don't know how I could make it better. :grin:

Well, I don't have very thick hair, but I can say that I did get great creamy head full of lather with 8 or so rubs of the bar around my head, and lather that was not hard at all to work up. My GKs are getting 2 bars of this TODAY and they do have long thick hair, and their mother, bless her heart, has the longest thickest hair I've ever seen. SO, I will report back on their experience within a couple weeks. That's because I did tell them it still needed 2 more weeks to cure :p I like giving my GKs things they need to wait for and anticipate :lolno: since that is good for kids to not learn that old instant gratification thing..:smile:

Oh, I should also say that I used a empty washed 1 quart whipping cream carton because I thought it was a nice square size for Shampoo Bars, leftovers I poured into pretty molds. I used the Land o Lakes brand as the Walmart Great Value carton is a bit flimsy, you could use the GV carton, but you'd have to stable the opening closed. For the sides bowing outward after pour, I just used regular scotch tape and ran a few tape strips across it to pull in the sides after the pour.
It worked very well. I did put the carton before pour into my log molds wood rack (holds 3 log molds), and that all sits on top of a heating pad on low...covered all with saran and then layers of towels, and I did get full gel, but it first turned yellow white, then a couple hours later was full gel like wet brown sugar (maybe due to FO or mica morph), I left the heating pad on low until the edges of the mold had got past gel and started to harden up which I believe was about 4 or 5 hours. I left it in the mold for almost 3 days. It was easy to peel off the carton. I did the same things with the floral silicone molds as I did with the cream carton, in the log molds on top of heating pad etc.
I sliced them 3/4" thick. They are a nice size bar. The molded ones are beautiful.
I'm happy! I also loved the soap on my skin. Soft skin results, felt very clean.:razz:

Back