More bugs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
These are the latest bug additions to the household, Hissing cockroaches.
I know they aren't everyones cup of tea but I really like them. I like most all bugs really, fascinating creatures.

The big one on my arm is my largest female, she is around 3"

the next is a male, he is smaller at 2", followed by a newly hatched baby.

Attachments

• 20180915_192341.jpg
    20180915_192341.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180915_190944.jpg
    20180915_190944.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180915_190423.jpg
    20180915_190423.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 11
You are more than welcome to come get these HUGE flying roaches that have appeared at my house. Every time I turn around, there is now some kind of bug in my house! I do NOT understand how you can be so fascinated by these things! Being that you have a male and female, won't they be making hundreds of babies soon? Or do they only have one baby at a time?

I'll throw in a scorpion and it's child. Fell on my bed after I got up to go to the bathroom and were waiting for me when I got back.

Should have taken a pic but I didn't want to take my eyes off of them while my housemate went and got something with which to kill them. I grabbed the baby while she smooshed the big one. *shudder*

I've been stung by them enough times I don't like repeating the experience if I can help it.

I got the flying roaches too. YUCK.

@Obsidian You can have all the roaches, crickets (they're over an inch long), grasshoppers (they're eating my bushes!), and any other creepy crawlers I can't even name.

YUCK they are as bad as the tarantulas.... how are the Mantis doing? Any Ghosties? My granddaughter is also a bug lover, her fav are the Mantis and the big Green Fig Beetles

I like the katydids and the mantis. We get them in different sizes and colors. We also have these strange roach-like bugs that come in 2 colors, a pale green and dark caramel. Both of them fly. Can't find them through Google.

Oh! And there are these HUGE bronze beetles that FLY. (Why do the tropics produce so many flying bugs?!) They're really a pretty color. Like a bronze oil slick! Except they FLY, and if they land on anything with a texture (like hair) it's really hard to get them off. Their legs are spiky but at least they don't sting. They just lumber.

I like the katydids and the mantis. We get them in different sizes and colors. We also have these strange roach-like bugs that come in 2 colors, a pale green and dark caramel. Both of them fly. Can't find them through Google.

We have the light caramel to dark caramel flying roaches. They are about 2 inches in length and will appear out of nowhere. I have been told that they are "water roaches". I saw them for the first time when we moved to the coast of Mississippi and then we have had them in both the Dallas, Texas area and now on the coast of Texas. We never had them in Oklahoma, so I have to assume they are a "warmer weather/higher humidity" roach. Check on Google for "Flying water bugs" and see if you can find them there. I have never seen the green ones or if I have, I thought they were something else.

I am totally fascinated by the Mantis. We had a couple on our screens a few weeks ago and I was so excited! These were some of my favorite "bugs" as a child. I also had a pet tarantula who I name "Hermie". Unfortunately, he didn't last long because as soon as my Dad discovered I had him, he made me let him go (had him for a week). Why Dad wouldn't let me keep him, I have no idea...he had a pet alligator as a kid! He should have let me keep Hermie . Now though, I get a little more jittery around spiders and bugs (expect the Mantis).

Haha. The big flying roaches are probably palmetto bugs, not a species I would want to have. Anything that flies is way too hard to contain.

I would love to have scorpions but their venom is similar to bees which I'm allergic too. I'll stick with harmless bugs. Well, unless I find a black widow but they are very docile.

I love katydids, they are so pretty. I'm also a fan of giant slugs, much to the dismay of my grandmother.
I really want a giant african millipede but they are crazy expensive, maybe some day.

My spiney mantids mated but no eggs yet. If she does lay, I will be selling the ooths. As pretty as they are, I didn't really care for them.

My daughter had really bad luck with the ghosts, only one male left but someone has offered to give her a female. Cross finger they mature at the right time. I really want to raise a few, they are so cool.

I was going to say that's a small hissing cockroach until I read the baby part! I've held one of those. But growing up in florida with flying palmetto bugs (and they have an odor too), I will not voluntarily own a roach of any species. Nope. Splat.

Giant slug might be cool though....

Being that you have a male and female, won't they be making hundreds of babies soon? Or do they only have one baby at a time?

I actually have three females. They have 20-50 babies at a time and give birth 3 or 4 times a year.
I plan on selling the extra. They are popular as pets or food for large lizards

I don't have screens on any door or window so my home is an indoor/outdoor sort of place!
Anything that roams outdoors either comes in or is brought in by 2 of my cats.
I've had scorpions sting me, 5 of them, 1 got me multiple times because it was inside my t-shirt. I was on a bus when I found out. Definitely created a spectacle!
Tarantulas I generally don't mind. I had 5 of them as pets to keep my bio-mother out of my room. They didn't like her either.
@MKLonestar I finally found it! This is the green roach I mentioned. There were several actually, and after reading more about them, I think we had them because there were thousands of dropped mangos in my yard. (I, myself, ate hundreds and didn't make a dent!) Now I don't feel so badly about letting them go.

Obsidian, I might buy a few from you for Freddie if you start selling them. Crunch.....;)

That sounds great. What size insect.is he eating? I'll send him a sample box once the babies get bigger and I still need to send you some honey

I found a very small BROWN (?) Praying Mantis. I thought it was a skinny stink bug at first and the hens didn't want to eat it. Then I took a closer look and let it go in the garden ;)

These are the latest bug additions to the household, Hissing cockroaches.
I know they aren't everyones cup of tea but I really like them. I like most all bugs really, fascinating creatures.

The big one on my arm is my largest female, she is around 3"

the next is a male, he is smaller at 2", followed by a newly hatched baby.
So they don't actually have hissing cock roaches in Idaho then right? Lol I mean never heard of them there.

Back