Molten Rapeseed Wax?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley

Reaction score
Hi there, I’m relatively new to making candles and have been experimenting with different natural waxes such as beeswax, soy and my newest wax, rapeseed. Although not having any difficulties with either beeswax or soy, rapeseed is a completely different matter . My previous attempts at pure rapeseed candles have all seemed to come alive and erupt up from the sides of the glass container like molten lava. I thought maybe it cooled too quickly so next time I slowed the cooling process but it seemed to happen again if not quite as bad as the first time but still not good enough haha so I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what is happening/ what I’m doing wrong and could help me figure this out because I can’t seem to find anything else about this online and everybody else’s rapeseed candles look perfect haha
17vb5f.jpg

Ive made with rapeseed before but have seen anything like that!

All the silly questions - where is the rapeseed from, is it a reputable seller? What wick did you use and did it have a fragrance? What was the pour temperature?

Ive made with rapeseed before but have seen anything like that!

All the silly questions - where is the rapeseed from, is it a reputable seller? What wick did you use and did it have a fragrance? What was the pour temperature?
I got the Rapeseed wax from Livemoor.co.uk and it’s advertised as pure rapeseed wax so I hope they’re reputable haha and I used a wooden wick with essential oils. The first one I poured around 40c but had started to solidify already so next time I did it around 50-60c and the same thing happened haha

Livemoor are ok, not sure about wooden wicks as I usually find they burn too hot.

So just checked and allowing rapeseed to get too hot can cause a problem so it shouldnt be heated abot 70c but pouring around 50-60 sounds about right.

Have you tried this with a different wick? And have you tried it without a fragrance?

THAT! IS! COOL! Sorry, I know nothing about Rapeseed wax. But that makes me what to get my hands on some!

I know it's an old post. But the rapeseed wax is perfectly fine... the volcano eruption is what rapeseed wax does on its own. Actually you cannot use it by itself, because of its nature. I've used it mixed with soy wax and it still makes the candle eruption effect. I've done my research and actually rapeseed wax is better as an additive in cosmetic products.

The company's that claim to have pure rapeseed wax candles either have some magic chemical substance added or the candle is not 100% rapeseed wax.

I use mine in soap make as I tried many thing to make natural rapeseed wax candles, but have not found the solution to the volcanic nature of the wax. In soap making it is perfect.

Hope it helps for those who might read this post.

Oh interesting comment about finding rapeseed wax perfect in soap. We have been having a discussion about it here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/rapeseed-wax.74756/

Can you share how you find it perfect in soap and at what percentage you use it in your recipes? How do you enter it into your soaping calculator? It would be great to hear from someone who is using it with success:thumbs:

From the research i have done, rapeseed wax is not meant to be used alone. Anyone know wjere I can purhcase in the usa?

Latest posts

Back