Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I am looking at getting silicone molds for soap. However, I am wondering if it would be better to get a mold that has individual bars or a rectangular mold? I know for certain I am getting the individual bar mold as I am wanting to make some salt bars and laundry soap and from my research,it looks like they both may be hard to cut???? So, I guess my question is does the rectangular mold have an advantage over the individual molds for other soap types (all I can figure is it would hold more, but I haven't even made my first batch, so what do I know???). Thanks for your help!

By rectangular mold, do you mean a mold that holds more soap (1 lb or more) that you then slice into individual bars? We usually call this a log mold or a loaf mold.

Assuming that is the case, there is no "right" answer here. What matters is what type of soap you are making, your preference, etc.

Individual molds: Pros - no slicing (good for salt bars). The individual mold means the soap is less likely to gel. This is good if you are making something prone to overheating and separating, such as milk soap, honey soap, or some FOs. This is bad if you want to gel your soaps.

Log mold - Less time pouring because you are just pouring in one mold. Retains heat better. Less exposed surface area, so if you have a bumpy top it's easy to trim. Generally much cheaper. Not a great choice of you want to avoid gel.

ETA: So, basically, you will probably end up with both at some point. I have plastic individual molds with pretty shapes, tiny 1 lb silicone molds, column molds, several different log molds, tall skinny molds.

By rectangular mold, do you mean a mold that holds more soap (1 lb or more) that you then slice into individual bars? We usually call this a log mold or a loaf mold.

Assuming that is the case, there is no "right" answer here. What matters is what type of soap you are making, your preference, etc.

Individual molds: Pros - no slicing (good for salt bars). The individual mold means the soap is less likely to gel. This is good if you are making something prone to overheating and separating, such as milk soap, honey soap, or some FOs. This is bad if you want to gel your soaps.

Log mold - Less time pouring because you are just pouring in one mold. Retains heat better. Less exposed surface area, so if you have a bumpy top it's easy to trim. Generally much cheaper. Not a great choice of you want to avoid gel.

ETA: So, basically, you will probably end up with both at some point. I have plastic individual molds with pretty shapes, tiny 1 lb silicone molds, column molds, several different log molds, tall skinny molds.

Yes, log mold is what I am talking about (I was actually going to put a loaf bread type mold, but changed it to say rectangular lol)

Originally I was thinking I would get both, but then got to second guessing myself.

If you have the money to get both, that's what I'd do. Better to have what you think you may need available than to wish you had listened to your instincts and not have it later.

I've only made salt bars a few times. I use 100% salt. I definitely recommend individual molds for them, b/c the bars are very brittle and would crumble if you tried to slice them.

Before you buy individual molds, really think about if you like those dimensions. I have a silicone mold for individual bars that I really really dislike the dimensions of. The bars are too narrow and too thick for my liking and the shape is slightly wider at the top than the bottom, which just irritates me to no end.

I've only made salt bars a few times. I use 100% salt. I definitely recommend individual molds for them, b/c the bars are very brittle and would crumble if you tried to slice them.

Before you buy individual molds, really think about if you like those dimensions. I have a silicone mold for individual bars that I really really dislike the dimensions of. The bars are too narrow and too thick for my liking and the shape is slightly wider at the top than the bottom, which just irritates me to no end.

After reading this, I went back and actually measured out the dimensions the soap would be (3.1X2.2x1) and while it was smaller than what I had in my mind, I think it would still be ok. I only plan to use it for salt bars (these will be for my son to hopefully help with oily skin on his face) and laundry bar (which I will grate anyway). So hopefully I won't be disappointed. I am also looking at a log loaf with dimensions of 3.1"x2.8"x10.2"inches, although I was really wanting one that would only do about 16 oz, I didn't really see one, so I guess I will just have to start with 2 lb instead of 1 lb.:neutral:

I am also looking at a log loaf with dimensions of 3.1"x2.8"x10.2"inches, although I was really wanting one that would only do about 16 oz, I didn't really see one, so I guess I will just have to start with 2 lb instead of 1 lb.:neutral:

Here are some 1 lb ones. (4 bars)

American Soap Supplies
https://americansoapsupplies.com/molds-soap-making-cake-making
I have these and really like them. They don't seem to need the extra ribbing on the sides.

Brambleberry:
http://www.brambleberry.com/4-Silicone-Loaf-Mold-P5531.aspx

Personally I like the 10 inch one better than the 1 pound. I know everyone says to start with 1 pound, but for me it was easier to start with the 10 inch mold.

You might consider a slab mold with dividers as the best of both worlds. I know the Nurture and BB ones have silicone liners available. I have the 9 bar BB one. It makes a 2lb batch and handles salt bars perfectly.

I bought 2 silicon log mold 10" and 12 inch tall. They are good but I will have to make a wooden mold for them eventually as they do deform. So if you want "perfect" they may not be for you.

I like the size as they fit 1000g oil recipes perfectly.

I would like the BB wooden mold w silicon liner (will build my own) but I am still perfecting my recipes and wouldn't want to make that much per attempt at this stage.

http://www.brambleberry.com/mobile/10-Silicone-Loaf-Mold--P5199.aspx

http://www.brambleberry.com/mobile/Silicone-Liner-for-5-lb-Wood-Mold-P5270.aspx

http://www.brambleberry.com/mobile/5-Pound-Mold-With-Sliding-Bottom-P5426.aspx

It's a personal preference thing but I like the look of the cut log mold soap over silicon individual bars.

Last edited:
I have never had any issues with my silicone molds deforming over time. The ones I have are similar to the 1 pound that was previously posted, but are the 10 inch. I don't see any difference in the shape at all.

I have the Crafters Choice 10" silicone and it does bow slightly in the middle.

Yes both vertically and horizontally so the soap bars get a bit of a belly and all bars aren't exactly the same size. If you want really straight sided regular bars hassle free you would have to use a wooden mold and silicon liner.

I love silicone molds, however, unless I use Velcro or place in a box that supports it, I get bowing on the sides. My individual molds I use for salt bars and bath bombs etc...I wish my 1 lb mold had better support on the sides. It bows out all around and seems harder to get the soap out of for some reason. I agree getting a slab allows you some design freedom, and having slats for it to convert to individual molds may be the way to go. Like everything else in soaping, I love to try them all, FO's, micas, molds,etc...it's an addiction

Back