Mold Won't Let Go

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet you I could guess whose mold that is. :p One of 2 manufacturers. :( Sorry, but not all plastic molds do as they are described as the manufacturer states.
If it is just a "sticking" issue for now, try putting a light coating of mineral oil on the inside of the HDPE plastic mold. Mineral oil will not saponify and thus the soap won't stick or as much anyway. :)

When the saponification process gets going in full swing, the internal temps can be as high as 170 to 190 degrees. Plastic, all plastic, HDPE, LDPE it all has has "memory" meaning once heated and expanded, it will never go back to it's exact size before heating up. This may take several times using it, but "Memory" can't be prevented, it can only be aided, a bit, by design. Some designs I've seen are disasters waiting to happen. :roll: Well, I'll get off my soap box now. I am sorry this happened to you. :cry:

Edited to add;
I did not see the E-Bay listing the first time I read this. Mr Do Right Molds are notorious for this and there is a big discussion right now at another forum about others having major issues with his molds! This manufacturer was my first guess.
Sorry again. :(

Paul....:) :wink:

Mineral oil ya say. Sounds like a good tip Paul.

I found that hot process soap comes out of my molds fairly good. I used coconut oil as a lube and it was just ok. Shea butter was better.

CP soaps I am having trouble with though, in the same type of mold. And one of my bigger molds has me down right angry. Two days now & still stuck! Have it in the freezer now and will try that. If that don't work, I'm gonna try to drill a hole in the bottom & blow it out with compressed air. Will use a piece of tape on the hole next time I want to make soap, if it ain't blown apart?

PhillipJ said:
Mineral oil ya say. Sounds like a good tip Paul.

I found that hot process soap comes out of my molds fairly good. I used coconut oil as a lube and it was just ok. Shea butter was better.

CP soaps I am having trouble with though, in the same type of mold. And one of my bigger molds has me down right angry. Two days now & still stuck! Have it in the freezer now and will try that. If that don't work, I'm gonna try to drill a hole in the bottom & blow it out with compressed air. Will use a piece of tape on the hole next time I want to make soap, if it ain't blown apart?

You see, the reason I mentioned using mineral oil is that it will not saponify. The coconut and shea oil/butter do saponify and thus, stick to the mold! Shea was better because it has more unsaponifiables in it. That is why it is a super great conditioning butter!
SL, or sodium lactate will help a bit, but try the really inexpensive
$1.00 per bottle mineral oil from Wal-Mart! I 100% guarantee it to be super fast in releasing your soap, no freezer or hammer, not even a drill needed!!! :lol:

Now I use soured goat milk in my CP soap now. Soured goat milk has a naturally high percentage of lactic acids, including natural sodium lactate and it helps make my soap harder than it used to be, before using soured goat milk. I've only been using soured GM for about 3 months now and am finding I really love it. I still use farm grown goats milk, I just buy his older milk for less than the fresh. Sometimes when it is starting to go sour, he'll give it to me! When the farmer friend does that, I give him my goat milk soap! It was not my idea to use it, and the smell does not come through in the final product. I take my stick blender, crank it up to high, and smooth out that curdled goat milk. I still keep it in the refrigerator. It really does make great soap! 8)

You may need a new mold to....... :roll: :D :lol:

Remember, mineral oil applied with a paper towel to the mold; no saponification.....walla, soap nearly jumps out of that old mold! :D :lol:

Been there; done that! :roll:

I figured the shea butter worked better because it don't sapofy as well. I have some baby oil on hand, now I know what to do with it.

Paul. You are kind of a whiz bang chemist aren't you. Sour goats milk for lactic acid. Killing a bunch of birds with one stone!

One thing I want to mention is that I got some vanilla stabilizer. The strong smell is Sodium MetaBisulphite. Used for sterilizing beermaking utensils, stump removal, and precipitating gold chloride. It may be a cheaper alternative and worth doing a test batch. White powdered SMB mixed with a little water.

I don't know about that, but I have read enough on the subject, and tried it myself, and I did see a significant difference in my soaps!

Back