Mold Size Suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuirkyBlossom

Reaction score
I've made melt and pour soap in the past, but I'm just beginning my journey in cold process soap. I know I will have to experiment with different recipes to discover what I like best / what works best. So I want to make some small batches.

What size molds do you suggest for small test batches? How small of a test batch do you suggest?

Thanks for all your help!

Depending on your scale and how accurate you can be.

For bar soaps, I think 500g is good for testing - easy to measure safely with a 1g scale, doesn't make a huge amount of soap, but does give enough bars for actually testing over a longer period. Making one or two bars wouldn't really give you much of a chance to test the recipe properly

If you don't want to spend money on a mold just yet, you can always use a milk carton. It makes a great peel away mold. Just wash and dry it, open the top, fill it as much as you want, and close the top back up again. When you're ready to unmold, just tear away the carton. Here is a pic of my first batch, made in a milk carton. It works well until you've made enough soap to decide the size and type of mold you want to invest in. Good luck to you! :)

first batch.jpg

Brambleberry has nice 1# molds and wholesale supplies plus has some disposable ones if you're still a bit iffy on CP.

You might be able to use some of your m&p molds. Double check what you have to see if anything has a temperature rating

I have used milkway molds in the past for test batches. I don't insulate them (just cover with saran wrap to keep unwanteds out) and can't soap at Hugh temps. This works well for me because I soap at room temp anyways. They do start to crack and wear after about 5 or 6 uses.

I like making 1lb to 2lb batches like Dixiedragon. For me, it's nice to be able to buy 2oz FOs and use them at 1oz ppo. Since I'm a hobbyist, those sizes make the perfect amount for giving to friends and keeping some for myself.

For a 1lb batch, I like to use a pringles can as a mold. Just cut off the bottom to remove the metal band. Then make a bottom with freezer paper and lots of tape. Line the interior with freezer paper - shiny side facing the soap.

For my 2lb batches, I love Nurture Soap molds. Their T&S mold and regular loaf mold are fantastic!

I also have some individual bar silicone molds. This one is a particular favorite for unmolding ease and cuteness factor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A5M2LC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. It takes a long time for shipping though and needs to be put on something so I can move it. I use a 1lb recipe for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! It is good to know that my thought of 1-2 pounds for testing recipes is a good idea. I'm currently checking out some molds that I might end up purchasing. I'm making a shopping list this weekend :)

Latest posts

Back