Mold Release for Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarice

We are one...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there -

Has anyone used spray on mold release for their soaps? I am thinking primarily of the loaf soap molds - even the silicone liners in wooden frames (amazon) seem to give up soap reluctantly.

I have tried freezer paper and fine it frustrating and fiddly. A friend of mine who works with resins suggested mold release - but I am a bit leery of how it might interact with soap. All the mold release I have seen seems to be silicone based.

Thank you! C

My go-to solution for sticking freezer paper to round molds is mineral oil in an oil-atomizer bottle (the kind people put oil in for making their own Pam non-stick spray). Mark it VERY clearly, as you don't want people using it for food!!! But as it does not saponify, it might be the solution you are looking for.

I have not used a spray on mold release, but I use lanolin or vaseline when I want or need a mold release. Both work very well for me, especially when I am using molds with intricate detail. I use my fingers to smooth a thin surface on the interior of the mold.

I have used the oil atomizer bottle that Susie uses, but for cooking purposes, and over time decided I didn't like it at all because it clogged up too easily. But then, I'm not one to use sprays for cooking purposes anyway, so that's probably just me.

Back