mold question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on what its made of. High quality silicone, like for baking? Yes. Flimsy thin plastic? Nope not really.
Got pictures of the molds?

Picture would help. If it's the mold from Michael's yes, you can use it. If it's the cheaper plastic molds I would rub them with some mineral oil and you may need to put them in the freezer to get them out. You can use a sturdy box or drawer and line it with freezer paper. Makes a decent mold for beginners.

How flimsy is flimsy? Is there a number on the plastic? I have found that the while the molds sold at hobby stores (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc) are designed for M&P, they will work fine for CP. Now, they won't hold up over time, but you can get a lot of use after them, especially if you a) grease the mold with mineral oil and b) freeze the soap before you unmold. The key is to not have to bend the mold to get the soap to come out. That's what breaks them.

Thank you for the information and I probably should have clarified. Yes it is the ones from Michaels and I have two of them. Fabulous! I will be using them for cold processed as well as my half gallon milk containers. :)

Back