Mold on Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly G Lewis

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a batch of CP soap back in July. Two weeks ago, I put it in Ziploc bags that I got at Michaels Craft store.
Tonight I took them out to prepare for a festival and noticed that the flower petals on it has mold on them.

Can I still use that soap if I cut the tops off? Or do I need to just throw them away. I have attached some pictures for your review.

Attachments

• 20190914_015747.jpg
    20190914_015747.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20190914_015750.jpg
    20190914_015750.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 20190914_015842.jpg
    20190914_015842.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20190914_015844.jpg
    20190914_015844.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 71
If you put them into ziploc bags before they were fully cured (and at two weeks, they're not fully cured), you'll still have moisture evaporating out of the bars. If they're in a sealed bag with plant material, it stands to reason the petals will start to mold. You can definitely cut the tops off but I sure wouldn't be sharing those with anyone.

Soaps should cure with air circulation. Part of the process is the moisture evaporating. Even after a 4-8 week cure and then shrink wrapping, I notice that there's still shrinkage happening over time and occasionally have to run the heat gun over them.

Those soaps have not cured long enough to sell, and I have to question why you are selling so soon. It takes at least a year of testing in order to sell. Your question is good proof you are just not ready to sell. Any plant material, oatmeal, etc can and usually will mold in a wet environment. I will also caution against using regular plastic zip lock back because they can mess with the fragrance.

OP -- You've found out the hard way that there is a definite risk of mold if you put chunky botanical materials in or on soap.

I've seen instances where soap makers put rose petals, rose buds, lavender buds, or oatmeal flakes on top of bars, and the botanical stuff has become moldy. Another poster recently provided an example of what looked like coarsely ground oatmeal that had been stirred into the soap. It also became moldy. The particles are just too large for the soap itself to act as a preservative for the botanical material.

I'm with Misschief -- this batch would definitely be a no-sell, no-gift item if it were mine. Cut a thick slice off the tops of the bars, toss the tops, and keep the rest for personal use.

If you put them into ziploc bags before they were fully cured (and at two weeks, they're not fully cured), you'll still have moisture evaporating out of the bars. If they're in a sealed bag with plant material, it stands to reason the petals will start to mold. You can definitely cut the tops off but I sure wouldn't be sharing those with anyone.

Soaps should cure with air circulation. Part of the process is the moisture evaporating. Even after a 4-8 week cure and then shrink wrapping, I notice that there's still shrinkage happening over time and occasionally have to run the heat gun over them.

Thank you for the below information. I created this batch around July 12 and put them in the bags the last week of August.. will just throw them away .

I use vitamin E as a preservative for my soaps with botanicals and even then the oatmeal, herbs or whatever is ground so fine it is colloidal....I found out the hard way by putting calendula flowers in a soap with a calendula infused oil....the flowers turned black in a couple of months....not good. Big pieces just ....get moldy. Even sprinkled on top it has to be a Very Light amount, as the dried material doesnt look attractive for very long...

Vitamin E is not a preservative. Nor does bar soap require a preservative. It is an anti-oxidant, and unless you used the proper amount in the oils when first purchased/opened, won't really do much for that, either. So, while proper use of Vit. E may help stave off DOS when using short shelf life oils, it really serves no purpose when added to a batch of soap. And I would really recommend that you not use short shelf life oils for soap that you don't know how long you or others will have hanging around.

The vit E was for the botanicals, not the soap, but certainly you are right re preserving short shelf life oils..some use rosemary oleoresin in their oils. Which is also not a preservative...

Last edited:
OP -- You've found out the hard way that there is a definite risk of mold if you put chunky botanical materials in or on soap.

I've seen instances where soap makers put rose petals, rose buds, lavender buds, or oatmeal flakes on top of bars, and the botanical stuff has become moldy. Another poster recently provided an example of what looked like coarsely ground oatmeal that had been stirred into the soap. It also became moldy. The particles are just too large for the soap itself to act as a preservative for the botanical material.

I'm with Misschief -- this batch would definitely be a no-sell, no-gift item if it were mine. Cut a thick slice off the tops of the bars, toss the tops, and keep the rest for personal use.
Ok, thank you all so much for your help with this!! :)

The vit E was for the botanicals, not the soap, but certainly you are right re preserving short shelf life oils..some use rosemary oleoresin in their oils. Which is also not a preservative...
Vitamin E also will not help with the botanicals. Although I really stay away from botanicals I do have a few recipes I use whole oats mixed with my oat flour, a fresh aloe that is left with small chunks that can still be seen with no mold issues with. I also make some soaps with purees, one with fresh Avocado that I pureed to liquid and use baby purees, such as carrots in some.

I use vitamin E as a preservative for my soaps with botanicals and even then the oatmeal, herbs or whatever is ground so fine it is colloidal....I found out the hard way by putting calendula flowers in a soap with a calendula infused oil....the flowers turned black in a couple of months....not good. Big pieces just ....get moldy. Even sprinkled on top it has to be a Very Light amount, as the dried material doesnt look attractive for very long...

Oh, no! I thought Calendula was one of the few good guys! I have a batch with calendula petals. Sigh.
Another question. I’ve been eye balling the Rose soap kit from Brableberry. It includes pink rose buds for the top. Won’t they mold and turn black as well?

Oh, no! I thought Calendula was one of the few good guys! I have a batch with calendula petals. Sigh.
Another question. I’ve been eye balling the Rose soap kit from Brableberry. It includes pink rose buds for the top. Won’t they mold and turn black as well?
I used to make a soap with dried Calendula petals and they never turned moldy. Yes, the rosebuds can turn black. Remember B&B really wants to just sell you the kit. I nor my customers do not like anything sprinkled on the soap tops.

Back