• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Soap Making Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mold makers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind,
6 lbs (96 oz. wt) oils X a factor of 1.37 makes 8.2 lbs (131 oz. wt) soap.
A mold for 90 oz. oils X 1.37 = 123 oz. soap. (7.7 lbs)
My 90 oz. oils wood mold made 24 (5 oz) bars, 3.5" W X 2.25" Tall X 1" Deep

From my files - Source Unknown
most soapers like a bar around 3-1/2" wide or long, by around 2-1/2" tall, by 1" to 1-1/4" thick. A bar this size, depending on the thickness, will weigh in about 4-1/2 to 5-1/4 ounces after a good 5 to 6 week cure.

Something to think about? 🤔

I have a blueprint diagram of the molds I had made.
2 blank molds and 1 mold with slots to guide the knife for cutting plus tops cut out of white birch plywood. Design by Sweetcheeks (Laurie Teason). Manufactured by her carpenter/contractor hubby.

I have a diagram around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it if interested.

FWIW: I retired from selling soap to wholesale accounts in July 2017. I gave my 90 oz. wood molds away. Kept the three 60 oz molds. Then switched to WSP's 30 oz. oils Loaf Silicone Mold 1501. I have 4 of them for large batches. It might be cheaper to go that route instead of having a mold custom made. Not sure. :smallshrug:

Last edited:
Jen's husband at Be Scented makes custom wooden molds...or at least he did. You could inquire.

You could check in your area for custom cabinet makers. You would want to specify your inside dimensions.

Another option is Workshop Heritage...they have tons of Loaf and Slab molds...standard, tall & skinny, double and triple wide. They also sell Log Splitters and Soap Cutters.

I've made a few molds. Not that difficult. I used scrap wood I had laying around. Here are some of my 100oz molds I made from old door frames I found. I would be glad to help.

Attachments

• 20200203_150158.jpg
    20200203_150158.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190927_161304.jpg
    20190927_161304.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 19
Do you have access to even a hand saw? Like the old timers.. Many hardware, lumber stores will cut your wood for free.

I AM an old timer. LOL

I am just not very good at this kind of stuff, it's why I owe my BIL five more pies for making me six-five lbs wooden molds. He's always asking me if I have anything else for him to do or build. If and when I need slab mods, I'll have him make them for me. Same with a drying rack.

Back