mold in lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonhorses

Reaction score
I have been having trouble with the last couple batches of my lotion. It isn't all the batch just 1 or 2 bottles that developed mold on them after about 2 to 3 weeks. I use Germaben II as my preservative. I haven’t had this problem before with the same recipe. Do I need something else?
Could my bottles have gotten contaminated? Oh and it is a GM recipe.
thanks
Paula

How much GM did you use?

How much Germaben II did you use and did you use it according to manufactures directions?

How much other liquids did you include in your recipe?

This is my recipe. I got if off the net. I have seen it post in several places. I haven't had any trouble with it before. That is what is making me think that my bottles may have become contaminated.

10.5 oz goat milk
2 oz glycerin
16 oz coconut oil
.5 oz olive oil
2 oz emulsifying wax
.5 oz vitamin E oil
17.5 oz aloe Vera gel
.5 oz germaben II
.5 oz fragrance

thanks
Paula

without even looking into the % of each ingredient I can see the problem straight off.

You are using way to much GM. Of your total liquids in your lotion you should only have a max of about 12% GM the rest distilled water or aloe vera juice.

So the preservative isn't able to handle that much GM.

Another thing you may want to remember is that recipes are copied over and over and over on the net. And just because it's posted on the net doesn't mean it's ok and safe to use. Or that it's a good recipe to start with.

Edited to add that Germall Liquid Plus is a better preservative for GM lotion. (info compliments of Paul, he's the one who also suggested the GM amount in the lotion. Look back for an old thread of mine on this very subject.)
Made it easy for you here is the link http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2792

to make a good lotion you want to look at the % value of each ingredient then from there you can make up as big or little as you want for your batch. (sorta like CP soap recipes)

But a good lotion should have your oil and butters content TOTAL of 10% to 25%

And between 3% and 6% of the following
Stearic Acid (thickener)
Emulsifying Wax
Glycerin

Fragrance Up to 2.5%

Preservative the max of the one you choose to use __%

Liquid The Remainer of the ___%
to make your recipe total 100%
Instead of distilled water try using aloe vera juice instead.

I'll write a tutorial on this and how figure it if it will help.

Ok so would that recipe be ok if I backed the GM down to 4.38 oz?? If not where can I find a good GM lotion recipe?
thanks so much for your help
Paula

ok thank you. Sorry I was making the other post while you posted yours I guess.

thanks so much
Paula

Back