Mold damage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1sadmomma

Reaction score
So I decided to make some soap with soap curl embeds and and something weird happened to the molds. After I unmolded the bars I noticed there was a mark left where the soap curls were even after cleaning them several times. I made another batch of plain bars in them hoping the marks would go away. Not only are they still there but the marks actually showed up on the plain bars. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing or have any idea what happened to the mold or if they are fixable? It didn't show up really great in the pictures but it still keeps showing up in the soap I make in them.
20220314_194551.jpg

Attachments

• 20220314_194538.jpg
    20220314_194538.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 9
That's a bummer! Did you CPOP the soap, or put it on heating pads? If so, the hard soap curls + heat probably created the impression in the silicone.

You can try putting something flat and heavy in the cavities, and gently reheating them, to see if the silicone will flatten out again.

That's a bummer! Did you CPOP the soap, or put it on heating pads? If so, the hard soap curls + heat probably created the impression in the silicone.

You can try putting something flat and heavy in the cavities, and gently reheating them, to see if the silicone will flatten out again.

No I just left them in my soap curing room like always. I do have a dehumidifier in the room and sometimes it get to over 90 in the room. Could that have the same effect as CPOP?

At least they were just some cheap Amazon molds. I'd be really bummed if it was the silicone liner to my Brambleberry slab mold!

I don't think a temp of 90F should have affected the molds, although it is likely that the soap itself got hotter if it gelled.

And ditto what Zing said. Some of the molds on Amazon are very flimsy and made of silicone mixed with other fillers that don't hold up well.

Sorry that happened to you. I too wondered if you CPOPed. You likely already know this, but there is a boat load of see-rap on Amazon. :mad: I stick to trusted soap-specific companies. Also, welcome to the forum!

The soap did partially gel. It's probably a combination of the low quality silicone and high temperature I guess.

I use the cheap molds when I'm testing new recipes, designs or methods because early on in my soap making journey I ruined a really expensive mold doing CPOP for the first time. At least they're easily replaced.

Sorry that happened to you. I too wondered if you CPOPed. You likely already know this, but there is a boat load of see-rap on Amazon. :mad: I stick to trusted soap-specific companies. Also, welcome to the forum!

I don't often CPOP because I live in Florida and between the hot climate and the dehumidifier in the soap curing room my soap typically gels all on its own unless I put it in the fridge/freezer.

At least they were just some cheap Amazon molds.

I would say that that is the answer to your question.

I use the cheap molds when I'm testing new recipes, designs or methods because early on in my soap making journey I ruined a really expensive mold doing CPOP for the first time. At least they're easily replaced.

Except that it adds up after awhile. I literally baked a soap in my 10" Silicone Loaf Mold at 350F for 4 hours from Brambleberry...still using it two years later.

I bought two 4" Silicone Square Molds and one 6" Silicone Slab Mold from BrambleBerry for testing. Haven't used the 6" one yet, but the 4" ones have been used hundreds of times with zero issues...I love them.

Latest posts

Back