Molasses

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperi27

Reaction score
Is this vegan? I saw someone's listing for this in soap and said it was vegan but not like i'm an expert in veganess! LOL

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

Molasses or treacle is a thick syrup by-product from the processing of the sugarcane or sugar beet into sugar. (In some parts of the US, molasses also refers to sorghum syrup.) The word molasses comes from the Portuguese word melaço, which comes from mel, the Portuguese word for "honey". The quality of molasses depends on the maturity of the sugar cane or beet, the amount of sugar extracted, and the method of extraction.

So yes it is vegan. :D

Well, I don't know about that because somenody said that sometimes sugar is filtered through cattle bone marrow....

Never heard of that :shock: I live in S. Fl. by a sugar plant. They burn the cane fields to get the juices going in the cane. Then take the cane and press it, then heat up the juice, what floats up to the top is molasses and is skimmed off, then what is left over is heated till it evaporates and what is left over is raw sugar. Then it is another process to get the sugar white.

Sonja

Martin said:
Never heard of that :shock: I live in S. Fl. by a sugar plant. They burn the cane fields to get the juices going in the cane. Then take the cane and press it, then heat up the juice, what floats up to the top is molasses and is skimmed off, then what is left over is heated till it evaporates and what is left over is raw sugar. Then it is another process to get the sugar white.

Sonja

ie exposing it to chemicals to bleach it...yuck!! raw sugar is the way to go!!

what part of S FL you from??? anywhere near Sarasota?? Ive been trying to buy some bulk sugar cane for a while now but havent found a good source!

I want to make my own Italian ices, and use cane juice thats fresh expelled by moi with my juicer! :)

Martin said:
You're getting me very steamed up! :)

I live in Palm Beach County. They have the sugar plants in Belle Glade. I think when they run the cane you can get the cane stalks in some of the grocery stores, l think in Clewiston. I know as kids we use to cut it in chunks
then chew to get the juice, but after awhile it cuts you tounge :(

Sonja

Martin said:
I live in Palm Beach County. They have the sugar plants in Belle Glade. I think when they run the cane you can get the cane stalks in some of the grocery stores, l think in Clewiston. I know as kids we use to cut it in chunks
then chew to get the juice, but after awhile it cuts you tounge :(

Sonja

Oh the memories! I grew up in So Fla, Ft. Lauderdale. I remember the smell of the sugar processing plants. Amazing how something so smelly was so yummy after all.

Our Whole Foods was selling 6ft sugar canes last fall. I bought one and tried and tried to figure out how to incorporate it into soap. Never did, we chewed some, then my nephew played swords with the rest.

Back