Moisturising bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggbert

Reaction score
Hi All, I am wanting to make a soap that is very soft and extremely moisturising. The idea behind it is that you maybe wet it very little, if at all and rub on before getting in the shower. Like getting a massage with oils but using the soap instead. Any ideas would be good.

wash off also, but I want it to be on there long enough to have a good effect on the skin.

Check out some of the soap oil properties websites like http://www.soapnuts.com/indexoils.html or http://www.colebrothers.com/soap/oils.html .

Look for oils that do not produce a hard bar (most of them) and that are conditioning to the skin.

I personally have used Sweet almond oil. Apricot kernel oil is also a great moisterizer and avacado oil is full of anti-oxidant vitamins. Safflower oil is also good.

Many massage and body oils are made of soybean oil. But for a very soft bar of soap it would be better to use a liquid soybean oil rather than a soybean based vegetable shortning.

I've been playing with a hair masque recipe made with oils, butters & conditioning emulsifyer. It is basically a hair oil treatment that turns into a 'lotion' when the water of the shower hits it and rinses out easy - something like that might be what you're looking for, if cleansing is not the primary goal?

If you're interested, I'll post the recipe.

Be careful making a bar that is too soft/conditioning. It will not last long and folks want their bars to last.

Some good suggestions, thanks! Becky - I would like to see the recipe sounds like an interesting mix.
My thoughts were to create a very sensual type of product.

Has anyone tried making soap completely out of butters? A bit of trial and error might have to take place for me to get it right. Keep the ideas coming though they are really appreciated.

60g Conditioning Emulsifier (15%)
20g Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol (5%)
20g Polysorbate 20 (5%)
40g Jojoba Oil (10%)
200g Rice Bran Oil (50%)
60g Shea Butter (15%)
Essential Oils or Fragrant Oils

It's from the Aussie Soap Supplies website. I'm currently experimenting and tweaking it to suit, as I have long, very thick hair & find this recipe a little too thick.

Back