Moisture

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon Groves

Reaction score
I make cold process and nhave my soaps cure on large plastic racks in the garage. I also use a dehumidifier. I live in Oregon and now it's the rain season so I noticed there is moisture and I went to dump the container from the dehumidifier and it was very full. Will this make it do my soaps take longer to cure? I live with my mother inlaw and she gets migraines from fragrances and I moved all my soaps into my closet but I can even smell the fragrances from the closet and I can't leave my window cracked bc I have no meat on my bones so I'm always so cold! I don't know what to do! I need these to cure and I have people wanting to pick them up mid December but I feel the curing process will be slowed down.

Is there any way I can make it so my room doesn't smell like bath and body works? I imagine they need to go back in the garage.

It's not so much the curing process, but the drying process. I'm in the mid-Willamette Valley and cure my soaps in my garage. During my first Fall/Winter, I noticed that it was taking twice as long to unmold, cut and cure my soap because of the cold and damp. One thing that helped was to increase my Lye Solution from 33% to 35% (less water). The other is a small oscillating fan to keep the air circulating over my soaps. I also plan for an eight week cure because...it is what it is.

Have you thought of using an air purifier in your room, if you decide to move your soap indoors?

https://smile.amazon.com/LEVOIT-LV-...=1&keywords=air+cleaner&qid=1606616245&sr=8-5

Oh duh! I didn't think about that!

It's not so much the curing process, but the drying process. I'm in the mid-Willamette Valley and cure my soaps in my garage. During my first Fall/Winter, I noticed that it was taking twice as long to unmold, cut and cure my soap because of the cold and damp. One thing that helped was to increase my Lye Solution from 33% to 35% (less water). The other is a small oscillating fan to keep the air circulating over my soaps. I also plan for an eight week cure because...it is what it is.

Okay, thank you. I was hoping that the dehumidifier would be enough but holy moly. I had no idea how much moisture there really was in the garage. I am thankful for the rain as we need it! I have quite a bit of soap and I really don't want to overload my bedroom with it as I only have so much space.

Thank you so much.

Latest posts

Back