Mixing Waxes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

Reaction score
I'm primarily a soap maker but I've been making candles for a few select customers. I also do gift baskets with soap, lotion bars, and candles with the same fragrances. I've been using Soy wax because hey it works for me. However I'm getting bees and while I know they will need some time to ramp up I'd like to make candles using some of the bees wax but since I won't have enough hives to fully support a candle business I was wondering if I can mix the soy and beeswax to make the candles and if there is anything I should watch for in mixing the waxes?

SavonP

Reaction score
Beeswax can be challenging for container candles because if that’s what you’re doing. It also doesn’t have great hot throw. Fir melts many people mix beeswax with coconut oil which is great.

lyschelw

SPONSOR
Reaction score
Hi there! You have a lot going on! Call me impressed. Oh to be young :)
Yes, you can mix beeswax with many other products. And as others have said you do need to be careful not to use too much. Beeswax is a natural "vybar" and can aid in scent throw if you don't use much. And I mean very little. Like at the most 1oz per pound.

Beeswax will harden the wax and if you use too much can cause it to crack and pull away from the sides.

Also, as you probably already know, beeswax can also make things harder to wick. You may end up needing bigger wicks.

Hope this helps a little :)

Latest posts