Mixing up a brown colorant

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

theplasticfantasty

Reaction score
Hi all, happy new year! I know this question is more of a "color theory" question and less of a "soapy" question, but I'm hoping someone on here has done this with success!

I need a deep brown mica (think dark chocolate chip color) for a project but I'm currently all out, I do have ROYGBIV colors though and I was wondering if I couldn't just mix a little bit of green and red together with a little bit of black to make my own brown? Or is mica mixing and paint mixing a little different, property-wise?

Reaction score
Hi all, happy new year! I know this question is more of a "color theory" question and less of a "soapy" question, but I'm hoping someone on here has done this with success!

I need a deep brown mica (think dark chocolate chip color) for a project but I'm currently all out, I do have ROYGBIV colors though and I was wondering if I couldn't just mix a little bit of green and red together with a little bit of black to make my own brown? Or is mica mixing and paint mixing a little different, property-wise?
Sometimes Micas can be a little different in terms of grain size, so the ratios can be a little different that if you were working across a single brand of paint. Otherwise, color theory basically applies.
Don't forget to factor in the color of your base, and whether or not you'll be sending it through gel, though.

theplasticfantasty

Reaction score
I also use cocoa powder. For lye liquid I use double-strength coffee for even darker colors.

Cocoa powder is a great idea! I don't currently have any on hand though so that kinda brings me back to square one lol 😅 for future reference though, have you noticed whether cocoa powder imparts a scent to your soap? I've used coffee in my soap before but I wasn't fond of the smell the soap took on after curing

Reaction score
In my experience, cocoa smell doesn't survive the saponification process (altho' sometimes I just swear I smell it for a little bit immediately after unmolding). Also, mixing lye with coffee smells just something awful but also doesn't impart a scent to the final soap.