Mixing Titanium Dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up Carolyn, I will need to try that. Since it's oil based I never thought to mix in glycerin.

I mix mine with a stick blender AND the food processor and this gets all the lumps out, but it's a pain.

Yep- I'll second that. I've found glycerin to work great with either water soluble or oil soluble colorants. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

I think someone mentioned this ages ago from what I remember, on the forum. I'd forgotten about it.

This is awesome! How much glycerin to titanium dioxide would you mix? I'd like to make a whole bunch and have it on hand when I need it, but I'm not sure what the ratio should be.

This is awesome! How much glycerin to titanium dioxide would you mix? I'd like to make a whole bunch and have it on hand when I need it, but I'm not sure what the ratio should be.
Sorry I am not one for measuring when it comes to colorants. I just pour in some glycerin and scoop in some TD. If it is to thick I add more glycerin. I would use a hand mixer with one beater if making a large amount

Yep- I'll second that. I've found glycerin to work great with either water soluble or oil soluble colorants. :thumbup:

I have a little bit left from 2 years ago. It is water soluble; how awesome I can use oil instead of water. When I do hp the td clumps. The water and oils in hp wasnt working for me.:clap:

Is there a certain thickness that you want to get it to? Do you want it to be the consistency of nail polish or do you want it to be thicker like a medium trace soap?

IL, at that consistency, what do you store it in when you pre-mix? Ie; I have been pre-mixing TD in oil and keeping it in a squeeze bottle, but at that thickness it doesn't seem like it would come out of a squeezie too easily?

not_ally- I actually don't master-batch my colorants. I only mix as much as I need for whatever batch I am making at the time.

I also use glycerin to mix my colors. I've been using it since I started making soap and just lately started to measure it out.
Used to use a tea strainer to sift out my TD, but now I use a fine mesh flour sifter, it is shaped like a cake pan. This works out great for me. I use the back of a spoon to push it though the mesh.
I use one ounce glycerin for one Tbl TD. I mix it with a very small wisk. This will color half of my 4lb batch, which is more than most would use, but I use goats milk in all my recipes so I need a lot to brighten it up.

Latest posts

Back