Mixing temp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! Another question.
I haven't made soap in a while and I can't remember what is a good temperature to mix the oils and lye solution. Once, the temps were too high and I got a volcano. I bought an infra red temperature gun and things were going well.

Hi all! Another question.
I haven't made soap in a while and I can't remember what is a good temperature to mix the oils and lye solution. Once, the temps were too high and I got a volcano. I bought an infra red temperature gun and things were going well.
Beeswax, lard, shea butter, palm, coconut - and some liquid oils

Because the beeswax requires a higher temperature than the rest of your hard oils to remain liquid, the temperature at which you mix your oils & lye solution will need to be a bit higher than without. What I would do is watch the oils and BEFORE any of them start to re-solidify (this varies based on specific amounts of the different oils & your ambient temperature), that's when I'd mix the two together. Here is a resource that suggests around 140°F (60°C) "or a little lower if possible." It has been a long time since I've used beeswax in soap and when I did it was via HP, so I don't really have experience making CP soap with beeswax.

I did a soap with 3% beeswax when I first started soaping. I soaped with my oils at 120 and had no problems. I also did not use as many hard oils as you are, so that may make a difference too.

Back