Mixing soap with a surfactant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise Taylor

Reaction score
Hello there,

I have a liquid soap recipe that I am happy with, it works well. I don' like in on my hair and OH wants a shower gel rather than a liquid soap. So I am going to try adding a surfactant. My choice is CAPB.

I have never done this before so hopefully, they will mix well with a little emulsifier.

Has anyone done this before and had success? If yes I would love some tips.

Many thanks

Liquid or bar soap does not work well with my hair. Try the swiftcraftymonkey blog for shampoo and shower gel recipes. The minimum per month is $1 to access her advice and recipes. I think it is well worth $12. per year.

Try the swiftcraftymonkey blog for shampoo and shower gel recipes. The minimum per month is $1 to access her advice and recipes. I think it is well worth $12. per year.
[/QUOTE

Thank you 😊. I am in Europe. I have heard from other Europeans that this site, whilst having some great resources, formulates with ingredients not available and sometimes not permitted in Europe. I would prefer to formulate with ingredients I know I can use. Currently that is CAPB and a liquid soap recipe.

You don't need an emulsifier. Emulsifiers allow immiscible materials to mix; CAPB and liquid soap are both water based and miscible. CAPB may thicken the mixture.

Thank you 😊
So I should just be able to pour some in to the finished liquid soap. That is handy as I can do it little at a time and see what the result is :)

Back