mixing rebatch and new cp batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlktrkdrvr

Reaction score
I really messed up a batch of soap yesterday. Some how I got my coconut oil and tallow lids mixed up and instead of using 7 pounds of tallow in my soap used 7 pounds of coconut oil. So now I have a batch of soap that is crazy cleansing.... I don't want to just throw it out. My thoughts are 1. I could melt it all down and simultaneously make 3 X the amount of a tallow only soap and mix the two while hot. Or 2. cube up the coconut oil batch and insert the cubes into a tallow based batch. Or I am open to other ideas.

I'm not sure about adding hot rebatch to new cp. I feel like it would be too hot and volcano? But it could be fine.

Another option would be to just shred it and mix it in with your high-tallow soap.

I would probably make that huge batch of tallow only soap( it would be something other than tallow if I'm doing it of course), then rebatch both the batches together. Or I might actually consider using the high CO soap for laundry.

If you didn't add the extra lye that coconut oil needs -- if you used only the weight of lye needed to saponify the tallow -- then that soap has a big superfat. Might want to deal with that first. This would not be an effective laundry soap, for example.

You are so right DeeAnna! That probably means extra lye during rebatch after calculating lye for the two batches together, making sure to set the lye discount.. But then, how would the OP go about rebatching a huge batch of soap, as huge as theirs? May be rebatch the original high CO soap first with the additional lye needed and then decide which way to go?

Last edited:
so if I make my tallow soap at a 0% superfat and rebatch both and mix the two together ( I am only going to use 1/3 of the coconut oil batch per batch of tallow soap to give me 25% of the original) would that work or will I just be making a lot more that is going to end up wasted?
would it work to cut the coconut oil batch into 1/2 inch cubes and embed them in an all tallow soap? My thinking says that the tallow part of the soap would condition and the coconut oil parts embedded would make bubbles. Or not?!? I just do not want to waste the very much more expensive than it should have been batch....

What exactly is the recipe of the soap you ended up making? The oil weights and the lye weight, everything. Even if you are to just mix this soap pieces into the new soap, which is not a great idea in my opinion, you still have to figure out the percent SF for this soap and decide if you are comfortable with that number and if not, take care of that first as Dee pointed out.

Shred it up and add it to some new batches with low superfat. I had to do that a while back back when I ended up with a 17% superfatted camel milk soap. It made a great soap and I just had to duplicated it since it sold so well. Mine was a charcoal soap so I ended up with a nice black and white confetti

I could see rebatching shreds (not large cubes or chunks) of this soap with a zero or low superfat soap batter. I don't know that I'd make a highly negative superfat (lye heavy) soap to fully compensate for the excess superfat. I will be the first one to say I know a modest amount of lye heaviness will cure out with enough time so the soap will be fine. But I would err on the side of safety in this instance and not go too far out on a limb to correct the high superfat. Excess fat won't (usually) irritate the skin, but excess lye can.

right now it comes out to be 24% superfat.
Here is the recipe I used .9 pounds castor oil .5 pounds olive oil and 7.6 pounds coconut oil (was supposed to be tallow)
3.42 pounds goat milk and 1.2 pounds lye. and 5 ounces f/o
also a little bit of activated charcoal for coloring-5 capsules worth

Latest posts

Back