Mixing oxides and ultramarines

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tammy sue starks

Reaction score
Does anyone else mix their colorant that is hard to blend in the batter when you add the lye? I have been having a hard time getting pigment to mix thoroughly even using a frother, so I added it to the lye water and oil mix before I even got emulsion. It is working really well for me and I no longer get drag marks of color. In my solid color batches anyway

Attachments

• WIN_20200611_18_25_09_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200611_18_25_09_Pro.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 8
You posted this in the melt and pour forum. Are you coloring melt and pour or are you making regular soap?

Also, are you using the pigments dry or are you pre-mixing them into water or glycerin and then using the liquid mixture?

oops, sorry DeeAnna, I am making cold process. I started off mixing the pigments into a tbsp of oil but even using a frother couldn't get them to mix all the way. I would have streaks of color so I started mixing it with the immersion blender and it helped a lot. I was just wondering if anyone else had that problem

I know some people use a frother with good results, and I got one with the intent of using it with my colors. I'm like you -- the frother hasn't worked all that well for me. A regular stick (immersion) blender is my weapon of choice for mixing pigments into soap batter.

Since I usually want to make several colors, I divide the emulsified batter into portions, add the pigments (mixed into water or glycerin) to those portions, and then stick blend each portion for a second or two.

Back