mixing micas with FOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
was reading up on mixing micas with glycerin and came across a post on mixing the micas with your FOs. I am wondering how many of you guys do this? what started my search was some one saying they mix their micas with glycerin and I was wondering if that could cause glycerin rivers? I am interested in trying either one of these but before I do am looking for any negatives with them

I would never mix my mica with FO. What if you used too much mica? You would get stuck using it in order to use the FO.

Mixing with glycerin won't cause rivers, you use a very small amount of glycerin. Why not just use oil?
Mica is also able to be added dry, its the only dry ingredient I've found that can do that.

I'm with Obsidian. I generally mix my micas with a bit of oil from the batch or add it dry these days. Adding a little glycerin won't give you rivers. Rivers are generally caused when the soap gets too hot. I think most soap at 33% these days which helps a great deal with this.

thanks--I have been mixing with oil and I will just continue to do that--I cant seem to get it mixed all the way when adding it dry so its not worth the waste even trying anymore. appreciate your input!!!!

thanks dixiedragon--are those better than the frothers? oops i see it is combined with a frother. I do have one of those that I use to mix the micas with oil. does the whisky part mix dry mica in soap? I love gadgets so maybe I need to check these out too :)

thanks dixiedragon--are those better than the frothers? oops i see it is combined with a frother. I do have one of those that I use to mix the micas with oil. does the whisky part mix dry mica in soap? I love gadgets so maybe I need to check these out too :)
To mix dry mica in the big soap batter, I wouldn't use this, as it's not big nor strong enough to incorporate correctly - use a stick blender.

Back