Mixing Micas into Polysorbate 80

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Park Bench

Park Bench Naturals
Reaction score
So, I use a Bathbomb Press for making my bath bombs. I use FD&C Batch Certified Dyes to color them, but wanted to decorate the outside with Micas. Polysorbate can not be used IN the recipe, so I mixed my Micas into a small amount of polysorbate 80 and painted them onto my bath bombs. They look great, do you think this small amount of polysorbate will be enough to keep the micas from staining?

I haven't sold anything yet, so forgive me for not knowing definitively, but am I wrong in thinking you still have to list the ingredients used to coat the bomb? My thinking is that people would want to know since it's going in the bath with them, but I don't know what the law is.

@shinnycow -- Ingredients lists and the law don't seem to have any bearing on whether micas + polysorbate 80 painted on bath bombs will cause staining. I'm not sure why you have these particular concerns given the OP's question. Can you explain?

@The Park Bench -- I'm not a BB maven, but I am good at searching for stuff -- Here's an SMF thread from 2017 where someone mentions PS80 is needed at 1-6% to minimize staining from colorants. Help with Bath Bombs

So do you think the PS80 painted on your bath bomb is at least 1% of the total weight of the bomb? If so, it might work to reduce/eliminate staining from the mica.

Last edited:
@shinnycow -- Ingredients lists and the law don't seem to have any bearing on whether micas + polysorbate 80 painted on bath bombs will cause staining. I'm not sure why you have these particular concerns given the OP's question. Can you explain?

@The Park Bench -- I'm not a BB maven, but I am good at searching for stuff -- Here's an SMF thread from 2017 where someone mentions PS80 is needed at 1-6% to minimize staining from colorants. Help with Bath Bombs

So do you think the PS80 painted on your bath bomb is at least 1% of the total weight of the bomb? If so, it might work to reduce/eliminate staining from the mica.

That's a great question. I must have misread the OP earlier and thought it was not going to be listed in the ingredients.

Back