mixing micas ahead of time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
i have been watching videos where people are squirting the coloring out of bottles and it got me wondering. how long can premixed micas be kept before they go bad? or will they not go bad as long as the oil used is good--and does mixing the oil with the micas cause the oil to go bad faster?

This has been discussed previously. It would only be as good as your oil used or you could mix it with glycerin. Many of the liquid colorants sold on the market are mixed with glycerin or some other oil. It's easier to just plop them in my batter with micas or to blend in a small Dixie cup with a bit oil from my batch.

I like mine mixed with glycerin. I bought a bunch of nail polish mixing balls from BB. I haven't gotten around to mixing them all, but my plan is to mix a few basics - TD, my favorite green, my favorite red, etc to have on hand.

I like mine mixed with glycerin. I bought a bunch of nail polish mixing balls from BB. I haven't gotten around to mixing them all, but my plan is to mix a few basics - TD, my favorite green, my favorite red, etc to have on hand.

good idea--I was mainly thinking of the TD (but some of the other colors would be nice to have on hand) I don't make big batches but it would be nice not to have to mix them everytime, but my biggest thing was wondering if the TD would dissolve totally, better if it was mixed earlier--I just watched a video on pre-mixing DT and it showed using stainless steel ball bearings--she was mixing a cup of TD with water but cautioned on needing a preservative if not used in a couple weeks. where do you order glycerin from. I wonder what the benefits of using glycerin versus water or versus oil would be? thanks Dixiedragon

I like glycerin b/c you don't have to worry about it going bad like water. Some colors won't dissolve in water (and some won't dissolve in oil) but so far everything (for me) had dissolved in glycerin. Plus it doesn't cause crackle / glycerin rivers (which are actually caused by some of the soap gelling more than the other). Glycerin is pretty cheap stuff - I get mine at a local soap/candle supply place, but you can buy it at the grocery store.

I don't think the colors totally dissolve/blend - you will need to shake well before using!

I don't think the colors totally dissolve/blend - you will need to shake well before using!

I premix WS TD, it definitely doesn't dissolve! I have two marbles in my squeeze bottle and sometimes I have to shake a lot before those marbles pull loose from the TD settled at the bottom. I shake for another 30 seconds after the rattle starts to make sure it's good to go. I never thought about using a preservative in it... ooohhh.... suddenly I have the skeevies...

I like glycerin b/c you don't have to worry about it going bad like water. Some colors won't dissolve in water (and some won't dissolve in oil) but so far everything (for me) had dissolved in glycerin. Plus it doesn't cause crackle / glycerin rivers (which are actually caused by some of the soap gelling more than the other). Glycerin is pretty cheap stuff - I get mine at a local soap/candle supply place, but you can buy it at the grocery store.

thanks for all the advice--much appreciated

Latest posts

Back